Current:Home > StocksTexas Gov. Greg Abbott demands answers as customers remain without power after Beryl -WealthRoots Academy
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott demands answers as customers remain without power after Beryl
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:21:42
DALLAS (AP) — With around 350,000 homes and businesses still without power in the Houston area almost a week after Hurricane Beryl hit Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott on Sunday said he’s demanding an investigation into the response of the utility that serves the area as well as answers about its preparations for upcoming storms.
“Power companies along the Gulf Coast must be prepared to deal with hurricanes, to state the obvious,” Abbott said at his first news conference about Beryl since returning to the state from an economic development trip to Asia.
While CenterPoint Energy has restored power to about 1.9 million customers since the storm hit on July 8, the slow pace of recovery has put the utility, which provides electricity to the nation’s fourth-largest city, under mounting scrutiny over whether it was sufficiently prepared for the storm that left people without air conditioning in the searing summer heat.
Abbott said he was sending a letter to the Public Utility Commission of Texas requiring it to investigate why restoration has taken so long and what must be done to fix it. In the Houston area, Beryl toppled transmission lines, uprooted trees and snapped branches that crashed into power lines.
With months of hurricane season left, Abbott said he’s giving CenterPoint until the end of the month to specify what it’ll be doing to reduce or eliminate power outages in the event of another storm. He said that will include the company providing detailed plans to remove vegetation that still threatens power lines.
Abbott also said that CenterPoint didn’t have “an adequate number of workers pre-staged” before the storm hit.
CenterPoint, which didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment following the governor’s news conference, said in a Sunday news release that it expected power to be restored to 90% of its customers by the end of the day on Monday.
The utility has defended its preparation for the storm and said that it has brought in about 12,000 additional workers from outside Houston. It has said it would have been unsafe to preposition those workers inside the predicted storm impact area before Beryl made landfall.
Brad Tutunjian, vice president for regulatory policy for CenterPoint Energy, said last week that the extensive damage to trees and power poles hampered the ability to restore power quickly.
A post Sunday on CenterPoint’s website from its president and CEO, Jason Wells, said that over 2,100 utility poles were damaged during the storm and over 18,600 trees had to be removed from power lines, which impacted over 75% of the utility’s distribution circuits.
veryGood! (845)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Olympic gold-medal swimmers were strangers until living kidney donation made them family
- Mudslides in Ethiopia have killed at least 229. It’s not clear how many people are still missing
- Netanyahu looks to boost US support in speech to Congress, but faces protests and lawmaker boycotts
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- John Mayall, tireless and influential British blues pioneer, dies at 90
- Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle resigns after Trump shooting security lapses
- Nevada election officials ramp up voter roll maintenance ahead of November election
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 2024 Olympics: Céline Dion Will Return to the Stage During Opening Ceremony
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez set to resign on Aug. 20 after being convicted on federal bribery charges
- Starbucks offering half-price drinks for a limited time Tuesday: How to redeem offer
- BETA GLOBAL FINANCE: Cryptocurrency Payment, the New Trend in Digital Economy
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Chris Brown sued for $50M after alleged backstage assault of concertgoers in Texas
- Former US Army civilian employee sentenced to 15 years for stealing nearly $109 million
- Darryl Joel Dorfman: Leading Financial Technology Innovation
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Illinois woman sentenced to 2 years in prison for sending military equipment to Russia
Survivors sue Illinois over decades of sexual abuse at Chicago youth detention center
House leaders announce bipartisan task force to probe Trump assassination attempt
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Former US Army civilian employee sentenced to 15 years for stealing nearly $109 million
Netanyahu is in Washington at a fraught time for Israel and the US. What to know about his visit
Clashes arise over the economic effects of Louisiana’s $3 billion-dollar coastal restoration project