Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthRoots Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 01:40:02
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (41)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Amazon Prime Day 2023 Last Call Deals: Vital Proteins, Ring Doorbell, Bose, COSRX, iRobot, Olaplex & More
- Environmentalists Praise the EPA’s Move to Restrict ‘Forever Chemicals’ in Water and Wonder, What’s Next?
- Q&A: Cancer Alley Is Real, And Louisiana Officials Helped Create It, Researchers Find
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- The Capitol Christmas Tree Provides a Timely Reminder on Environmental Stewardship This Holiday Season
- Coal Ash Along the Shores of the Great Lakes Threatens Water Quality as Residents Rally for Change
- Imagining a World Without Fossil Fuels
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- California Activists Redouble Efforts to Hold the Oil Industry Accountable on Neighborhood Drilling
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- The ‘Environmental Injustice of Beauty’: The Role That Pressure to Conform Plays In Use of Harmful Hair, Skin Products Among Women of Color
- Relentless Rise of Ocean Heat Content Drives Deadly Extremes
- Outdated EPA Standards Allow Oil Refineries to Pollute Waterways
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Amazon Prime Day 2023 Last Call Deals: Vital Proteins, Ring Doorbell, Bose, COSRX, iRobot, Olaplex & More
- Do Solar Farms Lower Property Values? A New Study Has Some Answers
- RHOBH's Garcelle Beauvais Shares Update on Kyle Richards Amid Divorce Rumors
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Six Environmental Justice Policy Fights to Watch in 2023
Adrienne Bailon-Houghton Reveals How Cheetah Girls Was Almost Very Different
Meghan King Reveals Wedding Gift President Joe Biden Gave Her and Ex Cuffe Biden Owens
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get a $280 Convertible Crossbody Bag for Just $87
Patrick and Brittany Mahomes Are a Winning Team on ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet
Patrick and Brittany Mahomes Are a Winning Team on ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet