Current:Home > FinanceFootball player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation -WealthRoots Academy
Football player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 19:18:01
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Former Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza is being dropped from a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleged she was raped by San Diego State University football players in 2021, it was announced Tuesday.
The woman agreed to dismiss Araiza from the lawsuit she filed last year while Araiza agreed to dismiss his defamation countersuit against her, and no money will be exchanged, attorneys for both sides told various media outlets.
“Thankfully, there was extensive evidence that was key to securing Matt’s voluntary dismissal from this lawsuit,” said a statement from Araiza’s attorneys cited by ESPN. “Matt was and has always been innocent. The case is over, and Matt has prevailed.”
Araiza intends to return to the NFL, his lawyers said.
The defamation lawsuit against the woman, described in court documents only as Jane Doe, was “legally baseless,” but her first legal bill topped $20,000 and she “simply cannot afford to defend herself,” her attorney, Dan Gilleon, said in a statement reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune.
“Plus she has been beat down by Araiza’s PR campaign and is frankly over it,” he said in a text, the news outlet reported.
The lawsuit against four other former Aztec players will continue.
Emails from The Associated Press seeking comment from Gilleon and Araiza’s lawyers, Dick Semerdjian and Kristen Bush, weren’t immediately answered Tuesday night.
Araiza was nicknamed the “Punt God” and honored as a consensus All-American in 2021 for his booming kicks that helped SDSU to a school-best 12-2 season in his senior year. He was selected by the Bills in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL draft but released two days after the filing of the lawsuit.
The woman alleged that she was 17 and attending an off-campus party in October 2021 when Araiza, then 21, had sex with her in a side yard at an off-campus house before bringing her into a bedroom where a group of men took turns raping her. She reported the alleged assault to San Diego police the next day.
Araiza has said he stayed in the backyard and never entered the home during the party and that he left nearly a half-hour before the alleged raping occurred.
He and most of the other players the woman is suing have said their encounters with her were consensual.
After a monthlong police investigation, the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office announced in December that it would not file criminal charges. Several media outlets obtained an audio recording of a meeting between prosecutors and the woman in which deputy District Attorney Trisha Amador said she concluded, based on a witness statement, that Araiza “wasn’t even at the party anymore” when the alleged raping could have occurred and wasn’t visible in videos that were recovered.
Earlier this year, the New York Jets hosted Araiza for a workout at the team’s facility, six days after a San Diego State investigation found no wrongdoing by him in connection with the alleged rape.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- At 17 years old, he was paralyzed from the waist down. 3 years later, he competed in a marathon.
- Woman fatally mauled by 2 dogs in Tennessee neighborhood; police shoot 1 dog
- 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice' to open Venice Film Festival
- 'Most Whopper
- Boston Celtics to sign star Jayson Tatum to largest contract in NBA history
- High court passes on case of Georgia man on death row who says Black jurors were wrongly purged
- US deports 116 Chinese migrants in first ‘large’ flight in 5 years
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Seine water still isn't safe for swimmers, frustrating U.S. Olympians
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- LeBron James agrees to a 2-year extension with the Los Angeles Lakers, AP source says
- Bronny James says he can handle ‘amplified’ pressure of playing for Lakers with his famous father
- Lebanese authorities charge US Embassy shooter with affiliation to militant Islamic State group
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Bear caught in industrial LA neighborhood, traveled 60 miles from Angeles National Forest
- Defending Wimbledon women's champion Marketa Vondrousova ousted in first round
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage climbs for the first time since late May to just under 7%
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
When does 'The Bachelorette' start? Who is the new 'Bachelorette'? Season 21 cast, premiere date, more
Where Kyle Richards and Mauricio Umansky Stand One Year After Their Breakup
Angel Reese cries tears of joy after finding out she's an All-Star: 'I'm just so happy'
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Arkansas grocery store reopens in wake of mass shooting that left 4 dead
Plans to demolish Texas church where gunman opened fire in 2017 draw visitors back to sanctuary
US new-vehicle sales barely rose in the second quarter as buyers balked at still-high prices