Current:Home > ScamsLouvre Museum and Versailles Palace evacuated after bomb threats with France on alert -WealthRoots Academy
Louvre Museum and Versailles Palace evacuated after bomb threats with France on alert
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:39:47
PARIS (AP) — The Louvre Museum in Paris and Versailles Palace evacuated visitors and staff Saturday after receiving bomb threats, police said. The French government started deploying 7,000 troops to increase security around the country after a fatal school stabbing by a suspected Islamic extremist.
The evacuations of two of the world’s most-visited tourist sites come amid heightened vigilance around France following Friday’s school attack, and global tensions linked to the war between Israel and Hamas. President Emmanuel Macron’s government is worried about fallout from the war in France.
Alarms rang out through the Louvre when the evacuation was announced, and in the underground shopping center beneath its signature pyramid. The Louvre communication service said no one was hurt. Paris police said officers searched the museum after it received written bomb threats.
Police cordoned off the monument from all sides, and the underground access, as international tourists and other visitors streamed out. Videos posted online showed people leaving, some hurriedly and some stopping to take photos, others apparently confused about what was happening.
The Louvre, home to masterpieces such as the Mona Lisa, welcomes between 30,000 and 40,000 visitors per day and several million annually.
The former royal palace at Versailles also received bomb threats, and the palace and its sprawling gardens were being evacuated while police examine the area, according to national police. A major Paris train station, Gare de Lyon, was being evacuated after the discovery of a possible bottle explosive, police said.
Earlier Saturday, Macron’s office announced the mobilization of 7,000 soldiers by Monday night, after the government heightened the national threat alert in the wake of the school attack in the northern city of Arras. The “attack emergency” threat posture allows the government to temporarily deploy extra troops to protect public places, among other measures.
Counterterrorism authorities are investigating the Arras stabbing, and the suspected assailant and several others are in custody, prosecutors said. The attacker’s exact motive remains unclear, and he is reportedly refusing to speak to investigators.
The suspect had been under recent surveillance by intelligence services for Islamic radicalization. He was detained Thursday for questioning based on his phone conversations in recent days, but investigators found no sign that he was preparing an attack, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said. He said French intelligence suggested a link between the war in the Middle East and the suspect’s decision to act.
Court documents viewed by The Associated Press show the suspect, identified by prosecutors as Mohammed M., is from the Ingushetia region in Russia’s Caucasus Mountains, which neighbors Chechnya.
Some schoolchildren, parents and personnel returned to the Gambetta-Carnot school Saturday, as police stood guard outside. Classes were canceled, but the school reopened for those who wanted to come together or seek support.
Trauma specialists described the importance of addressing the emotions and revisiting the scene soon after horrific events. One mother said she came with her 17-year-old daughter in a show of defiance against extremism, and to overcome the fear of returning to a site where children were locked down for hours after the stabbing.
Another mother came to seek guidance from counselors about how to support her two sons, who witnessed the attack in their schoolyard.
“As adults, we are managing with difficulty to take a step back, but for them, they’re children,″ said Emily Noge, arriving at the school with her sons and partner.
’’It’s always the same moments that come back: The schoolyard, the chairs to protect themselves, the stabbings, the whys. ’Why us? Why Arras? Why the teachers? They were good teachers. They were there to protect us,‴ she said.
For many, the attack echoed the killing of another teacher, Samuel Paty, almost exactly three years ago near his Paris area school. He was beheaded by a radicalized Chechen later killed by police.
All French middle schools and high schools will open later Monday so that staff can talk about the attack, and prepare to reassure students and address what happened, the Education Ministry announced. Each establishment will hold a minute of silence to reflect and honor victims of all attacks targeting schools.
Macron urged the people of France to “stay united.”
___
Schaeffer reported from Arras, France. Associated Press journalists Thomas Padilla in Paris and Nicolas Garriga in Arras, France contributed to this report.
veryGood! (9366)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Florida woman arrested after police say she beat poodle to death with frying pan
- After a 'historic' year, here are the states with the strongest and weakest gun laws in 2024
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has a title, seat at the 'big person's table.' So is this goodbye?
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- An iPhone fell from an Alaska Airlines flight and still works. Scientists explain how.
- Poland’s new government is in a standoff with the former ruling party over 2 convicted politicians
- Melanie Mel B Brown Reveals Victoria Beckham Is Designing Her Wedding Dress
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Selena Gomez Reveals What She Actually Told Taylor Swift at Golden Globes
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Mehdi Hasan announces MSNBC exit after losing weekly show
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has a title, seat at the 'big person's table.' So is this goodbye?
- Germany’s last major department store chain files for insolvency protection for the third time
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Nigerian leader suspends poverty alleviation minister after financial transactions are questioned
- Global economy will slow for a third straight year in 2024, World Bank predicts
- Vatican’s doctrine chief is raising eyebrows over his 1998 book that graphically describes orgasms
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ray Epps, a target of Jan. 6 conspiracy theories, gets a year of probation for his Capitol riot role
Tarek El Moussa Reveals He Lived in a Halfway House After Christina Hall Divorce
'The Mandalorian' is coming to theaters: What we know about new 'Star Wars' movie
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Christopher Briney Is All of Us Waiting for The Summer I Turned Pretty Season 3 Secrets
US Rep. Greg Pence of Indiana, former VP Mike Pence’s older brother, won’t seek reelection
Inside Pregnant Jessie James Decker’s Cozy Baby Shower for Her and Eric Decker’s 4th Baby