Current:Home > MyFlorida sheriff apologizes for posting photo of dead body believed to be Madeline Soto: Reports -WealthRoots Academy
Florida sheriff apologizes for posting photo of dead body believed to be Madeline Soto: Reports
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:17:48
The Osceola County Sheriff's Office issued an apology Tuesday after Sheriff Marcos López received backlash online for posting a photo of a dead body on his personal Instagram page believed to be that of missing teen Madeline Soto, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
“On March 2, 2024, a post was made on social media about a community event for seniors," said the sheriff's office, in a statement to the Orlando Sentinel. "In the post, an investigative photo was accidentally included. The photo was immediately removed. We deeply apologize for any confusion or disturbance this may have caused."
"As with any investigation, the information obtained is confidential and any mistaken disclosures will be immediately rectified," the statement added.
The Osceola County Sheriff's office did not immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for comment.
It is illegal to release photos or videos of "the killing of a minor," under Florida law and anyone who "willfully and knowingly" does so would be accused of a third-degree felony. This includes releasing photos of a dead body, without the family's permission.
Madeline Soto case:Boyfriend of Madeline Soto's mom arrested in connection to Florida teen's disappearance
Photo speculated to be Madeline Soto
While the office did not clarify to the Orlando Sentinel who was in the photo, it was widely speculated, based on the clothes, that the photo was of the corpse of 13-year-old Madeline "Maddie" Soto, which was found Friday by Osceola County sheriff's search teams in a wooded area, southeast of Orlando. The teen had been missing for a few days before her body was found. Soto's mother's boyfriend, Stephen Sterns was arrested Wednesday and is considered to be a "prime suspect" in the case.
What happened to Madeline Soto?
Soto went missing on Feb. 26 and was last seen wearing a green sweatshirt, black shorts, and white crocs, the Kissimmee Police Department, the lead investigation agency on her death, said Friday. The Orange County Sheriff's office said that evidence revealed that she was "never dropped off near her school on the morning of February 26".
The last person to see her before her disappearance was Stern, 37, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. In a post on X, the office said that video evidence showed Stern "discarding items in a dumpster at the family’s Kissimmee apartment complex" at 7:35 a.m. on Feb. 26. Madeline's backpack was later found inside the dumpster by investigators.
Video evidence also showed Sterns returning to the complex with Madeline visible in the car around 8:20 a.m. Authorities believe Soto was already dead at the time.
Sterns was arrested on Feb. 28 for sexual battery and possession of child sexual abuse material.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office said that "disturbing images and videos" were found on Sterns' phone when it was forensically examined. The crimes were determined to have been committed at the family home in Kissimmee.
"The review of his phone also revealed attempts to delete evidence," said the office.
The Kissimmee Police Department did not confirm if Sterns has been charged yet, saying that they "not answering questions or granting interviews at this time."
"The Kissimmee Police Department is working diligently investigating the Madeline Soto case," said spokesperson James Napier. "Our full attention is on this case which is still an open and active investigation."
Sterns is currently being held at the Osceola County Jail without bond. He faces two charges of sexual battery of a minor, including one count for capital sexual battery on a minor under 12, which has a maximum punishment of a death sentence.
Executive director takes selfie with suspect
Meanwhile, Executive Director of the Osceola County Sheriff's Office Nirva Rodríguez, on the same weekend as Lopez, posted a selfie of herself with Sterns on her personal Facebook page, with the caption, written in Spanish, and roughly translated to: “If God’s love has been poured out over your life, don’t allow evil to keep you away from what He has prepared for you."
The Orlando Sentinel said that the photo appears to have been taken a few moments before Sterns was placed in the back of a patrol car. The photo also drew irk online and has since been deleted.
It is not immediately clear if any action is being taken against Lopez and Rodríguez and the Kissimmee Police Department did not comment on the matter.
In an update on Wednesday, the department said that it is "detectives and forensic unit are working tirelessly to uncover the truth behind this heartbreaking incident."
"At this time, we are unable to release any further information as this remains an active and sensitive investigation," said the department, requesting "patience and cooperation during this difficult time."
Saman Shafiq is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter @saman_shafiq7.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Breanna Stewart, Liberty handle champion Aces in Game 1 of WNBA semifinals
- 'Shazam!' star Zachary Levi endorses Donald Trump while moderating event with RFK Jr.
- At Climate Week NYC, Advocates for Plant-Based Diets Make Their Case for the Climate
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- FBI to pay $22M to settle claims of sexual discrimination at training academy
- Angelina Jolie and 3 of Her Kids Make Rare Red Carpet Appearance at New York Film Festival
- These women thought you had to be skinny to have style. Weight gain proved them wrong
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Anna Delvey tells Tori Spelling she's not 'some abuser' after shared 'DWTS' eliminations
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- France’s new government pledges hardline stance on migration as it cozies up to far right
- Powerball winning numbers for September 28: Jackpot at $258 million
- Why Oscar hopeful 'Nickel Boys' is 'nothing like' any film you've ever seen
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- WNBA playoff games today: What to know about Sunday's semifinal matchups
- John Ashton, Taggart in 'Beverly Hills Cop' films, dies at 76
- In the Fight to Decide the Fate of US Steel, Climate and Public Health Take a Backseat to Politics
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Could a doping probe strip Salt Lake City of the 2034 Olympics? The IOC president says it’s unlikely
Anthony Richardson injury update: Colts QB removed with possible hip pointer injury
College Football Misery Index: Ole Miss falls flat despite spending big
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
California governor signs bills to protect children from AI deepfake nudes
What to watch as JD Vance and Tim Walz meet for a vice presidential debate
Luis Arraez wins historic batting title, keeps Shohei Ohtani from winning Triple Crown