Current:Home > InvestPlan to attack soccer events during Paris Olympics foiled, French authorities say -WealthRoots Academy
Plan to attack soccer events during Paris Olympics foiled, French authorities say
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:12:43
A plan to attack soccer events during the Paris Olympics was foiled by security authorities in France, officials said.
Gerald Darmanin, the interior minister in France, said in a statement that an 18-year-old man from Chechnya was arrested on May 22 on suspicion of being behind a plan to attack soccer events planned in the southeastern city of Saint-Etienne, about 260 miles south of Paris.
French authorities raised preliminary terrorism charges against the man, who they accuse of planning a "violent action" on behalf of the Islamic State group's jihadist ideology, the national counterterrorism prosecutor's office said in a statement later on Friday. The man is being held in custody pending further investigation.
According to the initial investigation, the man was preparing an attack targeting the Geoffroy-Guichard stadium in the city of Saint-Etienne which will host several soccer matches during the Summer Games.
The planned attack was to target spectators and police forces, the statement said. The suspect wanted to attack the Olympic events "to die and become a martyr," the statement also said.
Darmanin, the interior minister, did not cite a specific security threat against the soccer event, but has said there are multiple potential threats, including those from Islamic extremist groups, violent environmental activists, far-right groups and cyberattacks from Russia or other adversaries.
The Paris Olympics organizing committee said it was made aware of the arrest and praised intelligence and security services. ''Security is the highest priority of Paris 2024. We are working daily in close coordination with the Interior Ministry and all stakeholders — and will continue to be fully mobilized,'' it said in a statement.
The Paris Olympics will run from July 26-Aug. 11. Soccer matches will be played in cities across France before the final in Paris' Stade de France.
France is on its highest alert level for attacks ahead of the games as 10 million visitors and some 10,000 athletes are expected to arrive in the country.
Many concerns are focused on the opening ceremony on July 26, which will take place on a 4-mile stretch of the Seine River. It will be the first time a summer Olympics begins outside an athletics stadium.
In April, French President Emmanuel Macron said the opening ceremony could be moved instead to the country's national stadium if the security threat is deemed too high.
Macron said France's law enforcement forces will be mobilized at an exceptional level for the security of the open-air event, "but if we think there are risks, depending on our analysis of the context, we have fallback scenarios."
Organizers had originally planned a grandiose opening ceremony for as many as 600,000 people, most watching free of charge from riverbanks. But security and logistical concerns have led the government to progressively scale back its ambitions. Earlier this year, the overall number of spectators was reduced to around 300,000.
The French government also decided that tourists won't be given free access to watch the opening ceremony because of security concerns. Free access will be invitation-only instead.
- In:
- Olympics
- France
- Soccer
veryGood! (26818)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Trump throws Truth Social under the bus in panicked embrace of X and Elon Musk
- Hidden report reveals how workers got sick while cleaning up Ohio derailment site
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's crossword, Don't Move a Muscle! (Freestyle)
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Texas woman recovering after dramatic rescue from submerged vehicle
- Is America ready for our first woman president? Why Harris' biggest obstacle is gender.
- How much should I have in my emergency fund? More than you think.
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Tyra Banks Teases New Life-Size Sequel With Lindsay Lohan
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Ex-council member sentenced for selling vapes with illegal drugs in Mississippi and North Carolina
- Indiana attorney general drops suit over privacy of Ohio girl who traveled for abortion
- Motorcyclist pleads guilty to vehicular homicide and gets 17 years for Georgia state trooper’s death
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Mark Wahlberg's Kids Are All Grown Up in First Red Carpet Appearance in 9 Years
- What we know about suspected Iranian cyber intrusion in the US presidential race
- The Black Widow of pool releases raw, emotional memoir. It was an honor to write it.
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
The Daily Money: Why do consumers feel so dreary?
Death Valley’s scorching heat kills second man this summer
Arizona and Missouri will join 5 other states with abortion on the ballot. Who are the others?
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
AllBirds' New Everyday Sneaker Is Comfortable Right Out of the Box & I'm Obsessed
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 13 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $435 million
WHO declares mpox outbreaks in Africa a global health emergency as a new form of the virus spreads