Current:Home > ScamsJudge rules Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend caused her death, dismisses some charges against ex-officers -WealthRoots Academy
Judge rules Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend caused her death, dismisses some charges against ex-officers
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 01:57:40
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A federal judge has thrown out major felony charges against two former Louisville officers accused of falsifying a warrant that led police to Breonna Taylor’s door before they fatally shot her.
U.S. District Judge Charles Simpson’s ruling declared that the actions of Taylor’s boyfriend, who fired a shot at police the night of the raid, were the legal cause of her death, not a bad warrant.
Federal charges against former Louisville Police Detective Joshua Jaynes and former Sgt. Kyle Meany were announced by U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland in 2022 during a high-profile visit to Louisville. Garland accused Jaynes and Meany, who were not present at the raid, of knowing they had falsified part of the warrant and put Taylor in a dangerous situation by sending armed officers to her apartment.
But Simpson wrote in the Tuesday ruling that “there is no direct link between the warrantless entry and Taylor’s death.” Simpson’s ruling effectively reduced the civil rights violation charges against Jaynes and Meany, which had carried a maximum sentence of life in prison, to misdemeanors.
The judge declined to dismiss a conspiracy charge against Jaynes and another charge against Meany, who is accused of making false statements to investigators.
When police carrying a drug warrant broke down Taylor’s door in March 2020, her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, fired a shot that struck an officer in the leg. Walker said he believed an intruder was bursting in. Officers returned fire, striking and killing Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman, in her hallway.
Simpson concluded that Walker’s “conduct became the proximate, or legal, cause of Taylor’s death.”
“While the indictment alleges that Jaynes and Meany set off a series of events that ended in Taylor’s death, it also alleges that (Walker) disrupted those events when he decided to open fire” on the police, Simpson wrote.
Walker was initially arrested and charged with attempted murder of a police officer, but that charge was later dropped after his attorneys argued Walker didn’t know he was firing at police.
An email message sent to the U.S. Justice Department seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday morning.
A third former officer charged in the federal warrant case, Kelly Goodlett, pleaded guilty in 2022 to a conspiracy charge and is expected to testify against Jaynes and Meany at their trials.
Federal prosecutors alleged Jaynes, who drew up the Taylor warrant, had claimed to Goodlett days before the warrant was served that he had “verified” from a postal inspector that a suspected drug dealer was receiving packages at Taylor’s apartment. But Goodlett knew that was false and told Jaynes the warrant did not yet have enough information connecting Taylor to criminal activity, prosecutors said. She added a paragraph saying the suspected drug dealer was using Taylor’s apartment as his current address, according to court records.
Two months later, when the Taylor shooting was attracting national headlines, Jaynes and Goodlett met in Jaynes’ garage to “get on the same page” before Jaynes talked to investigators about the Taylor warrant, court records said.
A fourth former officer, Brett Hankison, was also charged by federal prosecutors in 2022 with endangering the lives of Taylor, Walker and some of her neighbors when he fired into Taylor’s windows. A trial last year ended with a hung jury, but Hankison is schedule to be retried on those charges in October.
veryGood! (37)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Baby Reindeer's Alleged Real-Life Stalker Speaks Out on Netflix Show
- Pope Francis visits Venice in first trip outside of Rome in seven months
- Seller of fraudulent N95 face masks to refund $1.1 million to customers
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Beat The Heat With ban.do's 30% Off Sale, And Shop More Bestsellers Up to 52% Off
- Nick Viall's Wife Natalie Joy Fires Back at Postpartum Body Shamers After Her Wedding
- Dead baby found in trash can outside University of Tampa dorm, mom in hospital: Police
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Tesla’s stock leaps on reports of Chinese approval for the company’s driving software
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Remote Lake Superior island wolf numbers are stable but moose population declining, researchers say
- GaxEx: Leading the Way in Global Compliance with US MSB License
- American tourist facing prison in Turks and Caicos over ammunition says he's soaking up FaceTime with his kids back home
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- King Charles III Returns to Public Duties in First Official Appearance Since Cancer Diagnosis
- These Mean Girls Secrets Totally Are Fetch
- Former NSA worker gets nearly 22 years in prison for selling secrets to undercover FBI agent
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Psst! Everything at J.Crew Factory Is 50% off Right Now, Including Hundreds of Cute Springtime Finds
Securing Fund Safety, Managing Trading Risks: The Safety Strategy of GaxEx
Powassan virus confirmed in Massachusetts: What you should know as tick season continues
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Skipping updates on your phone? Which apps are listening? Check out these tech tips
24 NFL veterans on thin ice after 2024 draft: Kirk Cousins among players feeling pressure
King Charles III Returns to Public Duties in First Official Appearance Since Cancer Diagnosis