Current:Home > NewsItaly bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue -WealthRoots Academy
Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:43:47
Italy's Culture Ministry has banned loans of works to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, following a dispute with the U.S. museum over an ancient marble statue believed to have been looted from Italy almost a half-century ago.
The dispute began in March 2022 when an Italian court ruled that the Minneapolis museum was irregularly in possession of the Stabiae Doriforo, a Roman-era copy of The Doryphoros of Polykleitos, an ancient Greek sculpture.
Rome claims that the sculpture was looted in the 1970s from an archaeological site at Stabiae, an ancient city close to Pompeii that was also covered by lava and ashes when Mount Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79.
Massimo Osanna, director general of national museums for Italy's Ministry of Culture, confirmed the ban in a statement given to WCCO on Thursday.
"The situation for us is very clear: the statue was excavated illegally in Italy and illegally left our territory," Osanna said. "Until the Doryphoros will be returned, there will be no further cooperation from our entire national museum system with the museum in Minneapolis."
In February 2022, Italian prosecutors issued an international warrant for the artwork to be impounded and returned. At a news conference earlier this year, Nunzio Fragliasso, chief prosecutor at the Torre Annunziata court, said they were "still awaiting a response."
In 1984, while the work was on display in a German museum, Italy initiated a legal proceeding to claim it. The claim was denied in 1986. The U.S. museum, which bought the statue in 1986 for $2.5 million, said it was purchased from art dealer Elie Borowski and imported into the United States.
"Since that time, the work has been publicly displayed and extensively published," the Minneapolis museum said in a statement. "While it takes issue with recent press reports regarding the Doryphoros, Mia (the museum) believes that the media is not an appropriate forum to address unproven allegations."
The museum asserted that it has always acted "responsibly and proactively" with respect to claims related to its collection. However, it added, "where proof has not been provided, as well as where Mia has evidence reasonably demonstrating that a claim is not supported, Mia has declined to transfer the work."
The museum called Italy's new ban on loans "contrary to decades of exchanges between museums."
The Minnesota Institute of Art originally opened its doors in 1915. The museum expanded in 1974 and 2006.
There are more than 89,000 objects held in the museum.
- In:
- Rome
- Italy
- Politics
- Entertainment
- Minneapolis
veryGood! (9)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Known homeless advocate and reporter in Philadelphia shot and killed in his home early Monday
- Amazon and contractors sued over nooses found at Connecticut construction site
- Sheriff Paul Penzone of Arizona’s Maricopa County says he’s stepping down a year early in January
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Pennsylvania inmates sue over ‘tortuous conditions’ of solitary confinement
- Fulton County D.A. subpoenas Bernie Kerik as government witness in Trump election interference case
- Judge says freestanding birth centers in Alabama can remain open, despite ‘de facto ban’
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Capitol Police investigating Jamaal Bowman's pulling of fire alarm ahead of shutdown vote
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Biden tries to reassure allies of continued US support for Ukraine after Congress drops aid request
- Teddi Mellencamp to Begin Immunotherapy Treatment After Melanoma Diagnosis
- Pakistan announces big crackdown on migrants in the country illegally, including 1.7 million Afghans
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Charlotte Sena update: What we know about the 9-year-old missing in New York
- Making cities 'spongy' could help fight flooding — by steering the water underground
- Serbia says it has reduced army presence near Kosovo after US expressed concern over troop buildup
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Russell Brand faces a second UK police investigation for harassment, stalking
Taylor Swift is getting the marketing boost she never needed out of her Travis Kelce era
No, frequent hair trims won't make your hair grow faster. But here's what does.
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Powerball jackpot climbs to $1.2 billion ahead of Wednesday's drawing
Chipotle manager yanked off Muslim employee's hijab, lawsuit claims
North Dakota state senator Doug Larsen, his wife and 2 children killed in Utah plane crash