Current:Home > NewsRays shortstop Wander Franco faces lesser charge as judge analyzes evidence in ongoing probe -WealthRoots Academy
Rays shortstop Wander Franco faces lesser charge as judge analyzes evidence in ongoing probe
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-05 16:17:18
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Wander Franco is facing a lesser charge after a judge in the Dominican Republic analyzed evidence that alleges the Tampa Bay Rays shortstop had a relationship with a 14-year-old girl and paid her mother thousands of dollars for her consent.
Originally accused of commercial and sexual exploitation and money laundering — charges that carry up to 30 years, 10 years and 20 years of prison respectively — Franco now stands accused instead of sexual and psychological abuse, according to a judge’s resolution that The Associated Press obtained on Tuesday.
Franco has not been formally accused, but if found guilty on the new charge, he could face between two to five years in prison.
Dominican law allows authorities to detain a suspect while prosecutors gather evidence to support their accusations, with a judge later determining whether there is sufficient evidence for charges to be formally filed and the case to move forward.
In his decision, Judge Romaldy Marcelino observed that prosecutors gave the case against Franco a different and more serious treatment because “the accused is a professional MLB player,” he said, referring to Major League Baseball. He didn’t elaborate.
The judge also determined that the money Franco is accused of giving the teen’s mother cannot be considered payment for the girl’s alleged services since the mother requested money after finding out about their relationship, which lasted four months, according to evidence collected by prosecutors.
The girl’s 35-year-old mother also is charged in the case and remains under house arrest. The original charges of money laundering still stand against her. The AP is not naming the woman in order to preserve her daughter’s privacy.
Franco was conditionally released Monday from a jail in the northern province of Puerto Plata after being detained for a week. He was ordered to pay 2 million Dominican pesos ($34,000) as a type of deposit and is required to meet with authorities once a month in the Dominican Republic as the investigation continues.
Franco was having an All-Star season before being sidelined in August, when Dominican authorities began investigating claims he had been in a relationship with a minor. Major League Baseball launched its own investigation, placing Franco on the restricted list on Aug. 14 before moving him to administrative leave on Aug. 22. Both investigations are ongoing.
Franco signed a $182 million, 11-year contract in 2021. His salary last year and this year is $2 million per season.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (42)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Stocks bounced back Tuesday, a day after a global plunge
- Customers line up on Ohio’s first day of recreational marijuana sales
- Texas schools got billions in federal pandemic relief, but it is coming to an end as classes begin
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Where JoJo Siwa Stands With Candace Cameron Bure After Public Feud
- Victory! White Sox finally snap 21-game losing streak, longest in AL history
- Exclusive: Oklahoma death row inmate Emmanuel Littlejohn wants forgiveness, mercy
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Microsoft hits back at Delta after the airline said last month’s tech outage cost it $500 million
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Texas man to be executed for strangling mother of 3 says it's 'something I couldn't help'
- Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu streaming subscription price hikes coming
- For Hindu American youth puzzled by their faith, the Hindu Grandma is here to help.
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Officials begin to assess damage following glacial dam outburst flooding in Alaska’s capital city
- 'Halloween' star Charles Cyphers dies at 85
- Reese Witherspoon Mourns Death of Her Dog Hank
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
How Blake Lively Honored Queen Britney Spears During Red Carpet Date Night With Ryan Reynolds
The Imane Khelif controversy lays bare an outrage machine fueled by lies
Officials begin to assess damage following glacial dam outburst flooding in Alaska’s capital city
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
USA's Tate Carew, Tom Schaar advance to men’s skateboarding final
Freddie Freeman's emotional return to Dodgers includes standing ovation in first at bat
US, China compete to study water on the moon: Why that matters for future missions