Current:Home > MarketsFoo Fighters will donate to Kamala Harris after Trump used their song 'My Hero' -WealthRoots Academy
Foo Fighters will donate to Kamala Harris after Trump used their song 'My Hero'
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 02:50:31
The Foo Fighters are fighting back.
A representative for the rock band told USA TODAY on Sunday that the Donald Trump campaign did not ask them for permission to use the group's song "My Hero" at the former president's rally on Friday with Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in Glendale, Arizona, "and if they were, they would not have granted it."
The representative added that "any royalties received as a result of this use will be donated" to Vice President Kamala Harris' presidential campaign.
USA TODAY has reached out to the Trump campaign for comment. A campaign spokesperson told The Independent, "We have a license to play the song."
The Foo Fighters song played at the rally after Trump introduced Kennedy, who on Friday announced he is suspending his campaign for president and throwing his support behind the Republican nominee. The track was heard as Kennedy walked out onstage, waved to the crowd and shook Trump's hand.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
When asked on X whether the Foo Fighters had approved the use of the song, the band replied, "No." The verified X account subsequently shared a screenshot of the reply for visibility, writing, "Let us be clear."
'And really, THAT song':Celine Dion says Trump's use of 'Titanic' song unauthorized
The band is the latest to voice disapproval of the Trump campaign's use of its song. Earlier this month, Celine Dion's team said it did not approve Trump's use of "My Heart Will Go On," her song from the movie "Titanic," at a rally in Montana.
"In no way is this use authorized, and Celine Dion does not endorse this or any similar use … And really, THAT song?" a statement shared on her Instagram page said.
Also in August, the family of Isaac Hayes threatened to sue Trump for using his song "Hold On, I'm Comin' " at rallies.
"Donald Trump epitomizes a lack of integrity and class, not only through his continuous use of my father's music without permission but also through his history of sexual abuse against women and his racist rhetoric," Hayes' son, Isaac Hayes III, said. "This behavior will no longer be tolerated, and we will take swift action to put an end to it."
Foo Fighters founder Dave Grohl has previously been critical of Trump, telling GQ in 2018, "The thing about Trump that stings the most is this: He just seems like a massive jerk. Right?"
Contributing: Taijuan Moorman, David Jackson and Sudiksha Kochi
veryGood! (818)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Angela Chao's blood alcohol content nearly 3x legal limit before her fatal drive into pond
- See the first photos of 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice' cast, including Michael Keaton
- Attorneys try to stop DeSantis appointees from giving depositions in Disney lawsuit
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- The US may catch a spring break on weather. Forecasters see minimal flooding and drought for spring
- Human remains found in 1979 in Chicago suburb identified through DNA, forensic genealogy
- Tracy Morgan Reveals He Gained 40 Pounds While Taking Ozempic
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- West Virginia man shot by 15-year-old son after firing weapon at wife
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- US surgeons have transplanted a pig kidney into a patient
- Lenny Kravitz Shares Insight Into Bond With Daughter Zoë Kravitz's Fiancé Channing Tatum
- After beating cancer, Myles Rice hopes to lead Washington State on an NCAA Tournament run
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- US wants to ban TikTok, but First Amendment demands stronger case on national security
- Colorado extends Boise State's March Madness misery. Can Buffs go on NCAA Tournament run?
- 2 teens arrested after abducted 21-year-old man found dead in remote Utah desert
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
West Virginia man shot by 15-year-old son after firing weapon at wife
Power Five programs seeing increase of Black men's and women's basketball head coaches
Arkansas airport executive shot during attempted search warrant, police say
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Capitals' Tom Wilson faces sixth NHL suspension after forcefully high-sticking opponent
US surgeons have transplanted a pig kidney into a patient
78,000 more public workers are getting student loans canceled through Biden administration changes