Current:Home > Scams3rd set of remains with bullet wounds found with possible ties to 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre -WealthRoots Academy
3rd set of remains with bullet wounds found with possible ties to 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 23:28:13
A third set of remains with bullet wounds was exhumed in the years-long search for victims of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre.
On Friday, state officials from Tulsa, Oklahoma announced they found remains with bullet wounds at the Oaklawn Cemetery. The discovery is the latest as part of the city’s 1921 Graves Investigation, stated the City of Tulsa in a press release.
So far, all three bodies were found in adult-sized coffins and sent to an on-site osteology lab.
The body was found near the area of the Burial 3, the release said, or the "Original 18" area where 18 Black men who were victims of the massacre are believed to have been buried.
This is the fourth excavation started by the city of Tulsa. Since it began, 40 other graves that were not previously found were exposed.
When were the two victims discovered?
The discovery comes less than a month after Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum announced that the identity of the first body that was exhumed had confirmed ties to the massacre, states a different press release from the city.
The body was confirmed to belong to C. L. Daniel, a World War 1 U.S. Army Veteran, by using DNA from his next of kin.
Daniel was the first person to be discovered who was not listed in the Oklahoma Commission’s 2001 Report regarding the massacre.
What were the Tulsa Massacres?
On May 31 and June 1, 1921, a white mob descended on Greenwood — the Black section of Tulsa — and burned, looted and destroyed more than 1,000 homes in the once-thriving business district known as Black Wall Street.
The massacre is considered one of the worst incidents of racial violence in the country's history. And 103 years after it happened, Tulsa is making progress towards the revitalization of “Black Wall Street” and reckoning with the destruction of one of the most thriving communities in its heyday.
The city of Tulsa has implemented a master plan that “ensures the social and economic benefits of redevelopment are experienced by Black Tulsans, by descendants of the Race Massacre and by future generations and their heirs.”
1921 Graves Investigation
In 2018, the city started an investigation to "identify and connect people today with those who were lost more than 100 years." ago, according to the City's website.
Four sites were listed as potential areas where victims of the massacre would be located, states the city:
- Oaklawn Cemetery
- Newblock Park
- An area near Newblock Park
- Rolling Oaks Memorial Gardens, formerly known as Booker T. Washington Cemetery
Contributing: Alexia Aston
Julia is a trending reporter for USA TODAY. She has covered various topics, from local businesses and government in her hometown, Miami, to tech and pop culture. You can connect with her on LinkedIn or follow her on X, formerly Twitter, Instagram and TikTok: @juliamariegz
veryGood! (4961)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Author Jessica Knoll Hated Ted Bundy's Story, So She Turned It Into Her Next Bestseller
- Ashton Kutcher resigns from anti-child trafficking nonprofit over Danny Masterson character letter
- Halle Berry Says Drake Used Slime Photo Without Her Permission
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani out for remainder of season with oblique injury
- Sha’Carri Richardson finishes fourth in the 100m at The Prefontaine Classic
- EU pledges crackdown on ‘brutal’ migrant smuggling during visit to overwhelmed Italian island
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Zimbabwe’s reelected president says there’s democracy. But beating and torture allegations emerge
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Maybe think twice before making an innocent stranger go viral?
- Fulton County judge to call 900 potential jurors for trial of Trump co-defendants Chesebro and Powell
- Yoga in a basement helps people in a Ukrainian front-line city cope with Russia’s constant shelling
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- A suburban Georgia county could seek tax increase for buses, but won’t join Atlanta transit system
- Zibby’s Bookshop in Santa Monica, California organizes books by emotion rather than genre
- Dominican Republic closes all borders with Haiti as tensions rise in a dispute over a canal
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Week 3 college football winners and losers: Georgia shows grit, Alabama is listless
Bernie Taupin says he and Elton John will make more music: Plans afoot to go in the studio very soon
Poland is shaken by reports that consular officials took bribes to help migrants enter Europe and US
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Prescott has 2 TDs, Wilson 3 picks in 1st start after Rodgers injury as Cowboys beat Jets 30-10
New Mexico governor amends controversial temporary gun ban, now targets parks, playgrounds
Anchorage scrambles to find enough housing for the homeless before the Alaska winter sets in