Current:Home > ContactBill Cosby, NBCUniversal sued by actress on 'The Cosby Show' for alleged sexual assault, battery -WealthRoots Academy
Bill Cosby, NBCUniversal sued by actress on 'The Cosby Show' for alleged sexual assault, battery
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 21:37:38
NEW YORK — A woman who worked as a stand-in at “The Cosby Show” in the 1980s said in a lawsuit Tuesday that Bill Cosby drugged and sexually abused her after offering to mentor her in her acting career.
The anonymous accuser said that soon after meeting Cosby while working on his show, he started offering style tips and performing acting exercises with her in his dressing room. When he invited her to his home, she accepted, she said, in part because of “Cosby’s wholesome image as `America’s Dad,’” according to the lawsuit.
Once there, she said she blacked out during an acting exercise after drinking wine apparently laced with an intoxicant. She awoke “partially undressed and vomiting into a toilet,” according to the lawsuit in the state Supreme Court in New York.
An unidentified actor on the show later expressed to her that Cosby “could do whatever he wanted to do with impunity at `The Cosby Show,’” according to the lawsuit, which seeks damages for battery, assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and false imprisonment.
NBCUniversal, along with Kaufman Astoria Studios and The Carsey-Werner Company, are accused in the lawsuit of negligence related to Cosby’s alleged behavior. Representatives of the companies did not immediately respond to emailed messages seeking comment Tuesday evening.
What is the Adult Survivors Act?
It is the latest in a string of lawsuits filed against Cosby under New York’s expiring Adult Survivors Act, which has given victims of sexual abuse a one-year window for claims that would otherwise be barred by time limits. That window closes on Thanksgiving.
A spokesperson for Cosby, 86, declined to comment on the specifics of the lawsuit, but suggested that look-back windows in place in New York and elsewhere should be closed because they were being abused to go after wealthy celebrities.
Joan Tarshis,one of Bill Cosby's 1st accusers, sues actor for alleged sexual assault
“When will it stop and who will be the next man to be victimized by these look-back windows?” spokesperson Andrew Wyatt wrote in an email.
Cosby has been accused of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment by more than 60 women, including several who have filed lawsuits over the past year under the Adult Survivors Act. He has denied all allegations involving sex crimes.
Cosby was the first celebrity tried and convicted in the #MeToo era and spent nearly three years at a state prison near Philadelphia before a higher court overturned the conviction and released him in 2021.
Cosby had been 'a father figure':Woman accuses Bill Cosby of drugging, sexually assaulting her in the '80s
veryGood! (194)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Here's why summer travel vacations will cost more this year
- The Daily Money: Can I afford to insure my home?
- Ex-prosecutor Marilyn Mosby sentenced in scheme using COVID funds to buy Florida condo
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Pronouns and tribal affiliations are now forbidden in South Dakota public university employee emails
- Louisville police officer reprimanded for not activating body cam in Scottie Scheffler incident
- NOAA 2024 Hurricane Forecast Is for More Storms Than Ever Before
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- NCAA women's lacrosse semifinals preview: Northwestern goes for another title
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs sued for battery, rape in new lawsuit over alleged '90s incidents
- Despite surging demand for long-term care, providers struggle to find workers
- The 77 Best Memorial Day 2024 Fashion Deals: J.Crew, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Michael Kors, Gap & More
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Judge in hush money trial rejects Trump request to sanction prosecutors
- A man found bones in his wine cellar. They were from 40,000-year-old mammoths.
- Animal attacks reported across USA this spring. This piece of advice could save your life.
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Kevin Costner remembers meeting young Ben Affleck, Matt Damon on 'Field of Dreams' set
How Beyonce’s Mom Tina Knowles Supported Kelly Rowland After Viral Cannes Incident
You'll Be Stuck On New Parents Sofia Richie and Elliot Grainge's Love Story
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
As Trump’s hush-money trial nears an end, some would-be spectators camp out for days to get inside
See memorials in Uvalde and across Texas that honor victims of Robb Elementary shooting
How Beyonce’s Mom Tina Knowles Supported Kelly Rowland After Viral Cannes Incident