Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:Judge orders central Indiana school shooter’s release into custody of parents -WealthRoots Academy
Indexbit Exchange:Judge orders central Indiana school shooter’s release into custody of parents
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 20:43:09
NOBLESVILLE,Indexbit Exchange Ind. (AP) — A judge Wednesday approved the release of a teenager who opened fire at a central Indiana middle school in 2018, wounding another student and a teacher, a prosecutor said.
The judge approved the 18-year-old’s release from juvenile detention into the custody of his parents because he is now an adult and could no longer be legally held for crimes he committed while a minor, Hamilton County Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Joshua Kocher told The Indianapolis Star.
The teenager will be on home detention with a GPS monitor and bound by restrictions including no guns or drugs, no computers unless monitored by probation officials, limited time on electronic devices, and no visits to schools or college campuses without prior approval.
Those limits are in place “to ensure the safety of the community,” Kocher said.
Kocher didn’t say when the teenager would be released from detention.
Hamilton Superior Court Judge Michael A. Casati on Aug. 14 ordered the teenager to be held in the Hamilton County Juvenile Service Center while probation officials found a suitable secure residential facility for him to ease the teenager’s return to society. However, Hamilton County authorities could not find such a facility.
The teenager, who was 13 at the time of the shooting, had been detained since shortly after he opened fire at Noblesville West Middle School in May 2018. He shot a seventh-grade science teacher and another 13-year-old student. The teacher, Jason Seaman, tackled and pinned him to the ground.
Seaman was shot three times, and the student, Ella Whistler, was shot seven times. No one was killed.
The teen was preparing to be released to his family when on March 20, prosecutors say, he assaulted a female counselor at the Pendleton Juvenile Correctional Facility by “fist-bumping” her breast, then joking about it with other juveniles. He was 17 at the time and was charged as a juvenile with battery.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Hurricane Idalia sent the Gulf of Mexico surging up to 12 feet high on Florida coast
- Colorado State DB receives death threats for hit on Colorado's Travis Hunter
- UAW threatens to expand strike to more auto plants by end of week
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Man charged with hate crime after Seattle museum windows smashed in Chinatown-International District
- Monday Night Football highlights: Steelers edge Browns, Nick Chubb injured, Saints now 2-0
- Jada Pinkett Smith Celebrates Her Birthday With a Sherbet Surprise Hair Transformation
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Fiber is a dietary superhero. Are you eating enough of it?
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Sydney Sweeney Transforms Into an '80s Prom Queen for Her 26th Birthday
- UAW threatens to expand strike to more auto plants by end of week
- Atlantic nations commit to environmental, economic cooperation on sidelines of UN meeting
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- What happened to 'The Gold'? This crime saga is focused on the aftermath of a heist
- Monday Night Football highlights: Steelers edge Browns, Nick Chubb injured, Saints now 2-0
- Republican Derrick Anderson to run for Democratic-controlled Virginia US House seat
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
Nexstar, DirectTV announce multi-year deal for CW, NewsNation and local channels
Researchers find new way to store carbon dioxide absorbed by plants
Newcastle fan stabbed 3 times in Milan ahead of Champions League opener
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
A bus coach crashes in Austria, killing a woman and injuring 20 others
Generac recalls more than 60,000 portable generators over burn risk
A bus plunges into a ravine in Montenegro, killing at least 2 and injuring several