Current:Home > ScamsEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Australia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret -WealthRoots Academy
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Australia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:37:43
CANBERRA,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center Australia (AP) — Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ordered an inquiry into why 20-year-old Cabinet documents relating to Australia joining the United States-led Iraq invasion remain secret, saying Wednesday that Australians have a right to know why their country went to war in 2003.
On Monday, the National Archives of Australia released 2003 Cabinet records in keeping with an annual Jan. 1 practice following the expiration of a 20-year secrecy provision.
But 78 documents relating to the Iraq war were withheld because they were prepared for the National Security Committee, a subset of Cabinet ministers who make decisions relating to national security and foreign policy.
Committing Australia to war was the committee’s decision.
Albanese blamed the former conservative government of Prime Minister Scott Morrison for failing to follow the usual practice of handing over all documents to the archive three years before their due release date.
Retired public servant Dennis Richardson had been appointed to investigate over two weeks whether the documents had been withheld as part of a political cover up, Albanese said.
A former conservative government’s decision to send Australian combat troops to back U.S. and British forces in the Iraq invasion was opposed by Albanese’s center-left Labor Party, then in opposition, and triggered Australia’s biggest street protests since the Vietnam War.
Albanese said the archive should release the documents once they have been examined for any national security issues that could exempt them from rules mandating they be made public after 20 years.
“Let me make it very clear of what my government’s position is: Australians have a right to know the basis upon which Australia went to war in Iraq,” Albanese told reporters.
“If this doesn’t occur, we’ll look at whether the government needs to take further action to ensure that there’s transparency here,” Albanese added.
The government department responsible for passing the documents to the archive blamed “administrative oversights” likely caused by pandemic disruption for them not reaching the archive in 2020.
The department said in a statement the archive now had the documents and would consult with security agencies before deciding whether they could be released.
The archive said in a statement it would decide within 90 business days” whether the documents would be made public. The archive had received the documents on New Year’s Eve and was giving priority to examining them, the statement said.
veryGood! (36386)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- PCE inflation report: Key measure ticks higher for first time since September
- EPA sets strict new emissions standards for heavy-duty trucks and buses in bid to fight climate change
- Ayesha Curry Details Close Friendship With Great Mom Lindsay Lohan
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Baltimore bridge collapse: Who will pay for the destroyed bridge, harmed businesses and lost lives?
- Jenna Dewan Shares Update on Wedding Plans With Fiancé Steve Kazee
- Save 70% on Tan-Luxe Self-Tanning Drops, Get a $158 Anthropologie Dress for $45, and More Weekend Deals
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Could tugboats have helped avert the bridge collapse tragedy in Baltimore?
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Is apple juice good for you? 'Applejuiceification' is the internet's latest controversy.
- Minnesota Legislature will return from Easter break with plenty of bills still in the pipeline
- FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years on crypto fraud charges
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Poison reports for dogs surge 200% at Easter: What to know to keep dogs, other pets safe
- Is Taylor Swift Featured on Beyoncé’s New Album? Here’s the Truth
- Terrence Shannon Jr. powers Illinois to Elite Eight amid controversy
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Abercrombie & Fitch’s Clearance Section Is Full of Cute Styles, Plus Almost Everything Else Is On Sale
US probes complaints that Ford pickups can downshift without warning, increasing the risk of a crash
Here's why your kids are so obsessed with 'Is it Cake?' on Netflix
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Snow-covered bodies of 2 men from Senegal found in New York woods near Canadian border
About 90,000 tiki torches sold at BJ's are being recalled due to a burn hazard
Closed bridges highlight years of neglect, backlog of repairs awaiting funding
Tags
Like
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Family fears for U.S. hostage Ryan Corbett's health in Taliban prison after deeply disturbing phone call
- Forever Chemicals From a Forever Fire: Alabama Residents Aim to Test Blood or Urine for PFAS Amid Underground Moody Landfill Fire