Current:Home > FinanceEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Rays shortstop Wander Franco faces lesser charge as Dominican judge analyzes evidence -WealthRoots Academy
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Rays shortstop Wander Franco faces lesser charge as Dominican judge analyzes evidence
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 04:56:03
SANTO DOMINGO,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center Dominican Republic (AP) — Wander Franco is facing a lesser charge after a judge in the Dominican Republic analyzed evidence that alleges the Tampa Bay Rays shortstop had a relationship with a 14-year-old girl and paid her mother thousands of dollars for her consent.
Originally accused of commercial and sexual exploitation and money laundering — charges that carry up to 30 years, 10 years and 20 years of prison respectively — Franco now stands accused instead of sexual and psychological abuse, according to a judge’s resolution that The Associated Press obtained on Tuesday.
Franco has not been formally accused, but if found guilty on the new charge, he could face between two to five years in prison.
Dominican law allows authorities to detain a suspect while prosecutors gather evidence to support their accusations, with a judge later determining whether there is sufficient evidence for charges to be formally filed and the case to move forward.
In his decision, Judge Romaldy Marcelino observed that prosecutors gave the case against Franco a different and more serious treatment because “the accused is a professional MLB player,” he said, referring to Major League Baseball. He didn’t elaborate.
HOT STOVE UPDATES: MLB free agency: Ranking and tracking the top players available.
The judge also determined that the money Franco is accused of giving the teen’s mother cannot be considered payment for the girl’s alleged services since the mother requested money after finding out about their relationship, which lasted four months, according to evidence collected by prosecutors.
The girl’s 35-year-old mother also is charged in the case and remains under house arrest. The original charges of money laundering still stand against her. The AP is not naming the woman in order to preserve her daughter’s privacy.
Franco was conditionally released Monday from a jail in the northern province of Puerto Plata after being detained for a week. He was ordered to pay 2 million Dominican pesos ($34,000) as a type of deposit and is required to meet with authorities once a month in the Dominican Republic as the investigation continues.
Franco was having an All-Star season before being sidelined in August, when Dominican authorities began investigating claims he had been in a relationship with a minor. Major League Baseball launched its own investigation, placing Franco on the restricted list on Aug. 14 before moving him to administrative leave on Aug. 22. Both investigations are ongoing.
Franco signed a $182 million, 11-year contract in 2021. His salary last year and this year is $2 million per season.
veryGood! (939)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Jurors watch deadly assault video in James Crumbley involuntary manslaughter case
- ASU hoops coach Bobby Hurley has not signed contract extension a year after announcement
- Judge halted Adrian Peterson auction amid debt collection against former Vikings star
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- MIT’s Sloan School Launches Ambitious Climate Center to Aid Policymakers
- Survivor seeking national reform sues friend who shot him in face and ghost gun kit maker
- Five most underpaid men's college basketball coaches: Paris, Painter make list
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- It's Purdue and the rest leading Big Ten men's tournament storylines, schedule and bracket
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Crocodile attacks man in Everglades on same day alligator bites off hand near Orlando
- Musher penalized after killing moose still wins record 6th Iditarod
- Boeing whistleblower John Barnett found dead in South Carolina
- 'Most Whopper
- 22-year-old TikTok star dies after documenting her battle with a rare form of cancer
- Open government advocate still has concerns over revised open records bill passed by Kentucky House
- Charlotte the stingray: Ultrasound released, drink created in her honor as fans await birth
Recommendation
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Missing Washington state woman found dead in Mexico; man described as suspect arrested
Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt talk Sunday's 'epic' 'I'm Just Ken' Oscars performance
2024 NFL free agency updates: Tracker for Tuesday buzz, notable moves with big names still unclaimed
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Zoë Kravitz brings boyfriend Channing Tatum to Lenny Kravitz's Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony
2024 NFL free agency: Top 25 players still available
Who was John Barnett? What to know about the Boeing employee and his safety concerns