Current:Home > StocksThreat against schools in New Jersey forces several closures; 3 in custody -WealthRoots Academy
Threat against schools in New Jersey forces several closures; 3 in custody
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:08:59
At least three suspects were in custody Monday after an online threat against schools in four New Jersey districts led two to close, canceling classes for almost 6,000 students.
Threats were made against specific schools in the Woodbury, Deptford, Glassboro and Haddon Heights districts in southern New Jersey. Woodbury and Deptford closed all schools while Glassboro and Haddon Heights schools were open but with an increased police presence.
Glassboro police said in a statement that two youths from Woodbury and one from Glassboro had been arrested. The statement, citing a threat directed at Bowe Middle School, credited members of the community with aiding in identification of the suspects.
"The children that attend school in our district may not biologically be ours, but we look after them as if they are our own," the statement said, adding that police "will never stop taking whatever measures necessary to ensure they are protected from the evil that tries to instill fear and cause chaos."
The threat comes days after a 14-year-old student is accused of fatally shooting two students and two teachers at his high school in Winder, Georgia.
'14-year-olds don't need AR-15s':Ga. senator aims at gun lobby as churches mourn
Screen shots from TikTok posted in community Facebook pages showed the threats and list of schools.
The Woodbury City district, with more than 1,700 students, posted a statement from Superintendent Andrew T. Bell Sr. on its website saying its schools would be closed Monday. Bell said the threat was not believed to be credible but that the district "exercising extreme caution to ensure the safety of our students, staff and families. Please be assured that school safety remains our top priority, and we are taking every precaution necessary to maintain a secure environment."
Bell said the district was working closely with police investigating the source of this threat. He urged families to "remain vigilant" and report any information that might be relevant to the investigation to law enforcement or school district officials.
Kevin Kanauss, superintendent of schools for more than 4,000 students in Deptford Township, said that "after carefully reviewing the progress of the investigation with our security team and law enforcement this evening, I have decided to close schools for Monday, September 9, 2024, out of an abundance of caution and for the safety and security of our entire Deptford Spartan Community."
Arrests made in Florida school threats
In Florida, arrests were made over the weekend in two school threat cases. A 13-year-old boy was arrested Sunday, accused of making a social media threats against Madison County schools on Instagram. The sheriff's department said late Sunday the investigation will remain active until it is determined that the juvenile acted alone.
In Broward Sheriff’s Office said it arrested a 14-year-old high school student late Saturday for making written threats to kill or conduct a mass shooting. She posted multiple stories on Instagram on Saturday afternoon that contained threats, including one post that listed several schools across Broward County that would be targeted with violence. Other posts contained additional threats of a school shooting or other violence.
Contributing: Phaedra Trethan
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Small twin
- Krispy Kreme giving away free doughnuts, iced coffee two days a week in July: How to get the deal
- Animal rescuers save more than 100 dolphins during mass stranding event around Cape Cod
- Inspectors are supposed to visit all farmworker housing to ensure its safety, but some used FaceTime
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- O.J. Simpson honored during BET Awards' In Memoriam, shocking social media
- Here's how much Americans say they need to earn to feel financially secure
- The Celtics are up for sale. Why? Everything you need to know
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Maine man who confessed to killing parents, 2 others will enter pleas to settle case, lawyer says
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Monkey in the Middle
- Lionel Messi highlights 2024 MLS All-Star Game roster. Here's everything you need to know
- Early 2024 Amazon Prime Day Fitness Deals: Save Big on Leggings, Sports Bras, Water Bottles & More
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- All-Star Paul George set to join 76ers on a $212 million free-agent deal, AP source says
- Usher reflects on significance of Essence Fest ahead of one-of-a-kind 'Confessions' set
- Armed bicyclist killed in Iowa shooting that wounded 2 police officers, investigators say
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
BET says ‘audio malfunction’ caused heavy censorship of Usher’s speech at the 2024 BET Awards
Documenting the history of American Express as an in-house historian
Documenting the history of American Express as an in-house historian
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Tour de France results, standings after Stage 3
Why Olivia Culpo Didn't Want Her Wedding Dress to Exude Sex
Meet the Americans competing at the 2024 Tour de France