Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:‘Walking Dead’ spinoffs, ‘Interview With the Vampire’ can resume with actors’ union approval -WealthRoots Academy
Charles Langston:‘Walking Dead’ spinoffs, ‘Interview With the Vampire’ can resume with actors’ union approval
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:32:46
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A pair spinoffs of “The Charles LangstonWalking Dead” and the next season of “Interview With the Vampire” can resume production despite the ongoing Hollywood strikes after reaching an agreement with the actors’ union.
The three AMC series are the highest-profile television productions yet to get what’s known as an interim agreement from the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.
The approval was granted Wednesday because the cable channel AMC and production company Stalwart Films are not part of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers — the coalition of studios the actors are striking against — though they are what’s known as “authorized companies” that abide by the contracts reached by the AMPTP.
“The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon” and “Interview With the Vampire” will now resume shooting their second seasons. And the deal will allow actors to do post-production work on the first season of “The Walking Dead: Those Who Live.”
No new writing will be allowed on the series because the Writers Guild of America, in perhaps the most significant divergence in strategy with the actors union, has opted not to grant any such agreements.
SAG-AFTRA’s tactic of granting interim agreements — which have been given to hundreds of films and shows produced outside the major studios so long as they grant actors the terms the union asked for in their last offer before the strike began July 12 — has drawn objections from many union members who feel they’re undermining their objectives.
Union leaders, while conceding that they did an insufficient job of explaining the strategy at first, have consistently defended it and touted its effectiveness in recent weeks. They say the productions show that their demands are not unreasonable, and they allow others in Hollywood to work.
“I think that there’s a greater understanding of the interim agreements, and a realization that actually helping journeyman performers and crew have opportunities for work is going to maintain our resolve” SAG-AFTRA president Fran Drescher told The Associated Press last week. “We don’t want to get caught in a place where we feel like we have to compromise our principles because people are desperate to get back to work.”
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Israel says it will return video equipment seized from AP
- Sites with radioactive material more vulnerable as climate change increases wildfire, flood risks
- Hawaii court orders drug companies to pay $916 million in Plavix blood thinner lawsuit
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- How 2 debunked accounts of sexual violence on Oct. 7 fueled a global dispute over Israel-Hamas war
- Adele, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, Fleetwood Mac: Latest artists on Apple Music's 100 Best Albums
- Former Trump adviser and ambassadors met with Netanyahu as Gaza war strains US-Israel ties
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- China sanctions former US lawmaker who supported Taiwan
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- New cars in California could alert drivers for breaking the speed limit
- Mississippi’s 2024 recreational red snapper season opens Friday
- Don't want to lug that couch down the stairs yourself? Here's how to find safe movers
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Asian American, Pacific Islander Latinos in the US see exponential growth, new analysis says
- Sherpa guide Kami Rita climbs Mount Everest for his record 30th time, his second one this month
- Germany’s foreign minister says in Kyiv that air defenses are an ‘absolute priority’ for Ukraine
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Former model sues Sean 'Diddy' Combs, claims he drugged, sexually assaulted her in 2003
Shaboozey fans talk new single, Beyoncé, Black country artists at sold-out Nashville show
Russia is waging a shadow war on the West that needs a collective response, Estonian leader says
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Massachusetts man ordered to pay nearly $4M for sexually harassing sober home tenants
Sites with radioactive material more vulnerable as climate change increases wildfire, flood risks
Nestlé to debut Vital Pursuit healthy food brand for Ozempic, Wegovy medication users