Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Israel has told White House that IDF troops will have "rest and refit," NSC's John Kirby says -WealthRoots Academy
Rekubit Exchange:Israel has told White House that IDF troops will have "rest and refit," NSC's John Kirby says
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 00:25:07
Washington — John Kirby,Rekubit Exchange the White House National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications, said Sunday that Israel has indicated to the Biden administration that the surprise move to pull troops out of southern Gaza is largely for "rest and refit."
Israel's military said Sunday it now has just one division in the Gaza Strip, after the other left in the last day. A spokesperson called the move an evolution of the war, rather than a partial withdrawal. But the thinking behind the move hasn't been made entirely clear.
- Transcript: John Kirby, National Security Council spokesperson, on "Face the Nation," April 7, 2024
"The indications that we've been getting from them this morning is this is really largely rest and refit for troops that have been on the ground consecutively now for four months and they need a chance to come, to come out now," Kirby said on "Face the Nation" on Sunday. "What they'll do with those troops after a rest and refit I can't speak to."
Noting that he can't speak for the operations of a sovereign military, Kirby stressed that the administration has been clear with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that it does not support a ground operation in Rafah, a heavily populated area in southern Gaza, saying that there are alternative options to go after Hamas. He noted that the administration met virtually with Israeli officials last week and expects an in-person meeting "in the next week or so" where they hope to discuss the alternatives.
The developments come amid ongoing conflict between the Israel Defense Forces and Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group. In a statement on Sunday, the IDF said it had completed another phase in preparation for further conflict along its northern border with Lebanon.
"Over the past few days, another phase of the Northern Command's readiness for war was completed, centering on operational emergency storages for a broad mobilization of IDF troops when required ... and their arrival at the front line in a short time with all the equipment for combat," the IDF said in a statement on Telegram.
Israel's Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said Sunday that Israeli troops pulled out of Khan Yunis in southern Gaza Sunday "to prepare for future missions, including... in Rafah," according to AFP. The forces were withdrawn after months of fierce fighting because "Hamas ceased to exist as a military framework" in Khan Yunis, just north of Rafah, where more than 1.5 million Palestinians are sheltering.
The Israeli government has been under intense criticism in recent days after seven humanitarian workers were killed in Gaza.
Kirby reiterated on Sunday that so far, the U.S. has not "seen any indication" that Israel has "violated international humanitarian law," but he noted that the State Department will "keep looking at this."
In the aftermath of the strike last week that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers, Kirby said "there have been too many aid workers killed by Israeli operations" and he added that's why the president "was so firm" with Netanyahu during a call afterward. Kirby reiterated that Israel must make "sustained changes in the way they're operating on the ground and the way they are allowing humanitarian assistance to get in" to Gaza. After Netanyahu's call with Mr. Biden last week, the Israeli government approved the opening of three humanitarian aid corridors that were specifically requested by the president.
The Israeli military said Friday that they had fired two officers and reprimanded three others for their roles in the strike.
Still, some members of the president's own party have said that he must hold Israel's government more accountable amid a massive civilian death toll in Gaza. Sen. Chris Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat who also appeared on "Face the Nation" on Sunday said that while he was "glad" to see the president's requests of Netanyahu, the White House must outline the "consequences" should Israel disregard them in the future.
- Transcript: Sen. Chris Van Hollen on "Face the Nation," April 7, 2024
"We have to make sure that when the President requests something that we have a means to enforce it," he said.
- In:
- War
- Hamas
- Israel
- Genocide
- Gaza Strip
- War Crimes
- Middle East
- Benjamin Netanyahu
Kaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (9)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Tennessee lawmakers pass bill to require anti-abortion group video, or comparable, in public schools
- Give me a 'C'! Hawkeyes play Wheel of Fortune to announce Caitlin Clark as AP player of year
- The US has more 'million-dollar cities' than ever, Zillow says. Here's what that means.
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Final Four expert picks: Does Purdue or North Carolina State prevail in semifinals?
- Kiss gets in the groove by selling its music catalog and brand for over $300 million
- Emma Roberts Reveals Why She Had Kim Kardashian's Lip Gloss All Over Her Face
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- The Lilly Pulitzer Surprise Sale Just Started: You’re Running Out of Time to Shop Rare 60% Off Deals
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Chiefs’ Rashee Rice was driving Lamborghini in Dallas chain-reaction crash, his attorney says
- Paul McCartney praises Beyoncé's magnificent version of Blackbird in new album
- White House Awards $20 Billion to Nation’s First ‘Green Bank’ Network
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Afrobeats star Davido threatens legal action over fake drug arrest story on April Fools' Day
- DA says he shut down 21 sites stealing millions through crypto scams
- Hyundai and Kia working to repair 3.3 million cars 7 months after fire hazard recall
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Carla Gugino reflects on being cast as a mother in 'Spy Kids' in her 20s: 'Totally impossible'
Oklahoma executes Michael Dewayne Smith, convicted of killing 2 people in 2002
Is Caitlin Clark or Paige Bueckers college basketball's best player? What the stats say
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Your tax refund check just arrived. What should you do with it?
Trump says Israel has to get Gaza war over ‘fast,’ warns it is ‘losing the PR war’
Have A Special Occasion Coming Up? These Affordable Evenings Bags From Amazon Are The Best Accessory