Current:Home > StocksRFK Jr. questioned in NY court over signature collectors who concealed his name on petitions -WealthRoots Academy
RFK Jr. questioned in NY court over signature collectors who concealed his name on petitions
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:58:17
MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) — Robert F. Kennedy Jr. faced questions in a New York court Thursday about how his presidential campaign handled revelations that some people gathering signatures to get him on the state ballot concealed his name on the petitions and used other deceptive methods.
Kennedy’s virtual appearance from an office in California came a day after his campaign announced that he will speak Friday about “his path forward.” The announcement fueled speculation that he could drop out of the race and support former President Donald Trump, the Republican nominee.
Testifying in a trial over a lawsuit backed by the Democratic National Committee that seeks to keep Kennedy off New York’s ballot, he acknowledged that his campaign submitted thousands of signatures gathered by a subcontractor despite knowing that some of its canvassers used deceptive tactics.
The lawsuit alleges, among other claims of fraud, that the top of some petition sheets had been folded down, so the names of Kennedy and his vice presidential running mate, Nicole Shanahan, could not be seen, and only their little-known electors were visible.
“I suppose I’m ultimately responsible for everything that happens in the campaign,” Kennedy said on the witness stand, pointing out that he wasn’t abreast of every detail involved in the subcontractor’s balloting efforts.
When asked if he was ultimately responsible for the decision to submit the signatures, he said “Yes.”
New York requires independent candidates to gather petitions with 45,000 signatures from potential voters to get on the ballot in the general election. Kennedy’s campaign ultimately managed to gather nearly three times that many on top of those gathered by the subcontractor. But an April complaint from a voter and a May New York Times article raised concerns about whether some people signing the petitions knew which candidate they had been asked to support.
Kennedy’s staff was concerned, too. The day after the Times article was published, Kennedy’s campaign manager and daughter-in-law, Amaryllis Kennedy, said in an email to other staff that the questionable petitions gathered by the contractor should not be used.
“We’re obviously pulling all of the petitions they’ve submitted and won’t use any of them as they are likely rife with other hidden errors, buried there to disqualify us once submitted,” she wrote.
According to court documents, the campaign sued the subcontractor, arguing it had to pay them even though none of the signatures were usable. Kennedy said in news interviews at the time that no petitions from the subcontractor were submitted.
But he acknowledged during his testimony that that’s not what actually happened.
Instead, the campaign weeded out around 800 pages — containing 8,000 signatures — with visible creases indicating they’d been folded, putting them in two bankers boxes labeled “fraud box.”
The campaign created an affidavit intended to “cure” the remaining petitions by having the canvassers affirm in writing that they hadn’t committed fraud and submitted over 12,000 signatures from the subcontractor as evidence of New York voters wanting to see him on the ballot.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs however produced at least one example of a creased page that was submitted to the state instead of ending up in the “fraud box.” They also argued, and Kennedy acknowledged, that some canvassers had also verbally misrepresented what the signatures were for — for example, increasing candidate ballot access generally.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
The subcontractor did not immediately respond to a phone message and an email request for comment.
A judge in a separate legal challenge has already barred Kennedy from appearing on New York’s ballot, though he has appealed. That suit had argued that Kennedy’s petitions were invalid because they listed him as living in New York when he actually resides in California with his wife, “Curb Your Enthusiasm” actor Cheryl Hines. An appeals court is scheduled to hear arguments next week in that case.
Kennedy is facing similar ballot challenges in several other states from Democrats and their allies.
veryGood! (44526)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- John Travolta Shares Sweet Tribute to Son Benjamin for His 13th Birthday
- Afraid of overspending on holiday gifts? Set a budget. We'll show you how.
- The Bachelor's Ben Flajnik Is Married
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Man pleads to 3rd-degree murder, gets 24 to 40 years in 2016 slaying of 81-year-old store owner
- College football bold predictions for Week 13: Florida State's season spoiled?
- A stampede during a music festival at a southern India university has killed at least 4 students
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Honda recalls 300,000 cars and SUVs over missing seat belt component
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- An alliance of Myanmar ethnic groups claim capture of another big trade crossing at Chinese border
- Jordan’s top diplomat wants to align Europeans behind a call for a permanent cease-fire in Gaza
- Derek Chauvin, convicted in George Floyd’s murder, stabbed in prison
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- 2 teens shot, suspect arrested at downtown Cleveland plaza after annual tree-lighting ceremony
- Wheelchair users face frustrations in the air: I've had so many terrible experiences
- Congolese Nobel laureate kicks off presidential campaign with a promise to end violence, corruption
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Dwayne Johnson and Lauren Hashian Serve Up Sweet Musical Treat for Thanksgiving
24 hostages released as temporary cease-fire in Israel-Hamas war takes effect
Heavy snowfall in Romania and Moldova leaves 1 person dead and many without electricity
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Mississippi State football hires Jeff Lebby, Oklahoma offensive coordinator, as next coach
Australia commits another $168 million to monitoring migrants freed from indefinite detention
Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott and Sarah Jane Ramos Expecting First Baby