Current:Home > ContactJudge rejects officers’ bid to erase charges in the case of a man paralyzed after police van ride -WealthRoots Academy
Judge rejects officers’ bid to erase charges in the case of a man paralyzed after police van ride
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:21:29
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Four former Connecticut police officers arrested for allegedly mistreating a man who wound up paralyzed in the back of a police van in 2022 were denied bids Thursday to enter a program that could have erased criminal charges against them and possibly let them avoid trial.
A judge in New Haven Superior Court rejected the former officers’ applications for accelerated rehabilitation, citing the seriousness of Richard “Randy” Cox’s injuries. The program, generally for first-time offenders accused of low-level crimes, requires successfully completing probation. “The resulting injuries to the victim are of such a serious nature that the court feels that precludes participation in the program,” Judge Gerald Harmon said.
The four former New Haven officers, Oscar Diaz, Betsy Segui, Ronald Pressley and Luis Rivera, were charged with misdemeanors of negligent cruelty to persons and reckless endangerment. All four, whose cases were continued until May 9, declined to comment after the hearing.
A fifth officer, Jocelyn Lavandier, faces the same charges, but was not at Thursday’s hearing as her case was postponed until May. She also applied for the probation program.
Cox, now 38, was left paralyzed from the chest down June 19, 2022, when a police van he was riding in braked hard to avoid a collision with a car, sending him head-first into a metal partition. His hands were cuffed behind his back and the van had no seat belts. Cox had been arrested on charges of threatening a woman with a gun, which were later dismissed.
“I can’t move. I’m going to die like this. Please, please, please help me,” Cox said minutes after the crash, according to police video.
Diaz, the officer driving the van, stopped and checked on Cox, according to police reports. Diaz called for emergency medical staff and told them to meet him at the police station, the reports said.
Once at the station, officers mocked Cox and accused him of being drunk and faking his injuries, according to surveillance and body-worn camera footage. Officers dragged Cox from the van by his feet and placed him in a holding cell prior to his eventual transfer to a hospital. His family says officers may have exacerbated Cox’s injuries by moving him around.
Lawyers for the officers argued Thursday that Cox’s injuries happened before he got to the police station and they cited a medical opinion that they did not exacerbate the injuries after the fact.
Four of the five officers were fired last year. The fifth, Pressley, retired and avoided an internal affairs investigation. A state board in January overturned Diaz’s firing, but the city is appealing that decision. After Thursday’s ruling, their criminal cases will now move toward trial.
Cox’s supporters, including his family and the NAACP, have criticized prosecutors for not bringing felony charges against the five officers.
Supporters have compared his case to what happened to Freddie Gray, a Black man who died in 2015 in Baltimore after he suffered a spinal injury while handcuffed and shackled in a city police van. Cox is Black, and all five officers who were arrested are Black or Hispanic.
New Haven settled a lawsuit by Cox for $45 million.
Cox did not attend Thursday’s hearing. His lawyer, Jack O’Donnell, said travel is complicated and painful for him.
After Cox was injured, city police announced reforms, including making sure all prisoners wear seat belts. The state Legislature last year approved a new law spurred by the Cox case that would require seat belts for all prisoners being transported in Connecticut.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- 3 dead, more than a dozen others injured in large Brooklyn house fire, officials say
- If You’re Hosting Holidays for the First Time, These Top-Rated Amazon Cookware Sets Are Essential
- Over 30 workers are trapped after a portion of a tunnel under construction collapses in India
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Former NFL cornerback D.J. Hayden and 5 others killed in crash in downtown Houston
- SZA stands out, Taylor Swift poised to make history: See the 2024 Grammy nominations list
- DOJ argues Alabama can't charge people assisting with out-of-state abortion travel
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Greece’s opposition Syriza party splits as several prominent members defect
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Meet the Contenders to Be the First Golden Bachelorette
- Deion Sanders apologizes after Colorado loses to Arizona: 'We just can't get over that hump'
- Aaron Rodgers tells NBC he targets a mid-December return from torn Achilles tendon
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- A tiny deer and rising seas: How far should people go to save an endangered species?
- Al Roker says his family protected him from knowing how 'severe' his health issues were
- Biden says America’s veterans are ‘the steel spine of this nation’ as he pays tribute at Arlington
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Taylor Swift Gives Travis Kelce a Shoutout By Changing the Lyrics of Karma During Argentina Show
More than 800 Sudanese reported killed in attack on Darfur town, UN says
Part of Interstate 10 near downtown Los Angeles closed indefinitely until repairs made; motorists urged to take public transport
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Poland’s newly elected parliament meets for the first time
Macron urges France to rise up against ‘unbearable resurgence of antisemitism’ before Paris march
Russia ramps up attacks on key cities in eastern Ukraine