Current:Home > InvestMaine will give free college tuition to Lewiston mass shooting victims, families -WealthRoots Academy
Maine will give free college tuition to Lewiston mass shooting victims, families
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 21:37:44
LEWISTON, Maine - Maine is offering free college tuition to those wounded in the Lewiston mass shooting, as well as to the families of the people who were killed.
"Those who were physically injured and surviving family members of those killed in the Lewiston mass shooting last month will be able to attend the University of Maine System for free," school officials said in a statement Wednesday.
Maine has seven public universities, and the average cost of tuition is just over $10,000. The school system is also setting up a donation fund to cover the non-tuition college costs of anyone affected.
UMS believes over 80 people impacted by the tragedy could qualify to have their tuition and fees waived, including spouses and the biological children, adopted children and stepchildren of those killed. The Maine Attorney General will help determine eligibility.
"By all accounts, those who were tragically killed were deeply devoted to their families and working hard to provide them a strong future. While nothing will bring them back, the University of Maine System believes that the best way we can honor the memories of those taken too soon is to ensure their loved ones can easily access postsecondary education and opportunity," Chancellor Dannel Malloy said in a statement.
The Lewison Strong Tuition Waiver
Malloy said the "Lewiston Strong Tuition Waiver" was developed after Gov. Janet Mills requested a scholarship fund for those most impacted by the shooting.
"I thank the University of Maine System for establishing the Lewiston Strong Tuition Waiver and Scholarship Fund, which will ensure that the cost of higher education will never be a barrier for those directly impacted by the tragedy in Lewiston," Mills said in a statement. "Through their boundless generosity, Maine people are demonstrating that our state will stand by those who were injured and the families of those who were killed in the months, years and decades to come."
Eighteen people were killed and 13 more were injured at a bowling alley and restaurant in the deadliest shooting in Maine history on October 25. The killer, identified by police as 40-year-old Robert Card, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a two-day manhunt.
Two weeks ago, one of the youngest survivors of the shooting was released from a Boston hospital. Gavin Robitaille, a 16-year-old high school sophomore, was shot in the arm at the bowling alley.
Robitaille's family said he still needs more surgeries but is lucky to continue his recovery at home.
- In:
- Maine News
Neal J. Riley is a digital producer for CBS Boston. He has been with WBZ-TV since 2014. His work has appeared in The Boston Globe and The San Francisco Chronicle. Neal is a graduate of Boston University.
veryGood! (893)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Remembering Cory Monteith 10 Years After His Untimely Death
- Richard Simmons’ Rep Shares Rare Update About Fitness Guru on His 75th Birthday
- Sister Wives Janelle Brown Says F--k You to Kody Brown in Season 18 Trailer
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Organize Your Closet With These 14 Top-Rated Prime Day Deals Under $25
- Margot Robbie Just Put a Red-Hot Twist on Her Barbie Style
- ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- If You Bend the Knee, We'll Show You House of the Dragon's Cast In and Out of Costume
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive
- Appeals court halts order barring Biden administration communications with social media companies
- Study Documents a Halt to Deforestation in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest After Indigenous Communities Gain Title to Their Territories
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Derailed Train in Ohio Carried Chemical Used to Make PVC, ‘the Worst’ of the Plastics
- Sister Wives Janelle Brown Says F--k You to Kody Brown in Season 18 Trailer
- Coal Ash Along the Shores of the Great Lakes Threatens Water Quality as Residents Rally for Change
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Travis Barker Praises Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian's Healing Love After 30th Flight Since Plane Crash
TikToker Alix Earle Hard Launches Braxton Berrios Relationship on ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet
In Northern Virginia, a Coming Data Center Boom Sounds a Community Alarm
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Road Salts Wash Into Mississippi River, Damaging Ecosystems and Pipes
Activists Rally at Illinois Capitol, Urging Lawmakers to Pass 9 Climate and Environmental Bills
Save $28 on This TikTok-Famous Strivectin Tightening Neck Cream Before Prime Day 2023 Ends