Current:Home > ScamsPoinbank Exchange|A judge pauses key Biden immigration program. Immigrant families struggle to figure out what to do. -WealthRoots Academy
Poinbank Exchange|A judge pauses key Biden immigration program. Immigrant families struggle to figure out what to do.
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 03:10:52
McALLEN,Poinbank Exchange Texas (AP) — Maria García began the week full of hope. Swinging by the office of her attorney in Los Angeles, she dropped off required paperwork for the Biden administration’s new immigration policy that could finally give her husband, Roberto, legal residency as the spouse of an American citizen.
But only hours later Monday, that dream was interrupted when a federal judge in Texas temporarily suspended the program that could benefit an estimated 500,000 immigrants in the U.S., freezing in place one of the biggest presidential actions to ease a path to citizenship in years.
“They are hurting American families. We are in limbo,” said Maria Garcia, a 44-year-old U.S. citizen who married Roberto in 2017. “I feel a lot of anger, helplessness. Why block families who have a lifetime here?”
The pause issued by U.S. District Judge J. Campbell Barker came in response to a challenge by 16 states, led by Republican attorneys general, who filed a federal lawsuit just days after the program began taking applications last week. The order, known as as administrative stay, will be in place for 14 days but could be extended.
The states claimed the move would cause irreparable harm and accused the administration of bypassing Congress for “blatant political purposes.”
On Tuesday, the Department of Homeland Security said the government would continue to take applications and defend the program in court. Any applicants whose parole was granted prior to the order will be unaffected, according to the department.
DHS did not respond to questions about how many applications were received or approved or how long it takes to determine the outcome of a case under the program, which the government named Keeping Families Together.
“Keeping Families Together enables U.S. citizens and their family members to live without fear of separation, consistent with fundamental American values,” the DHS said in a statement.
Gregory Chen, the director of government relations for the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said he had heard from lawyers affiliated with the association of at least hundreds of people who had applied since the program was launched August 19, including some who applied and were approved the next day.
Lawyers are rushing to understand what the order means for their clients, too. According to Chen, the organization’s listserv for lawyers interested in the Keeping Families Together program “blew up” after the judge’s decision late Monday with questions about what the decision means.
The organization has held three webinars designed to educate lawyers about the program. One of those seminars had about 1,000 lawyers in attendance, an extremely high number for one of the group’s educational offerings, Chen said.
“It shows an extremely high level of interest in this program,” Chen said.
Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, whose office is helping lead the lawsuit, applauded the judge’s order. “This is just the first step. We are going to keep fighting for Texas, our country, and the rule of law,” he said in a statement.
Couples like the Garcias are now hanging on to every update on their case.
Roberto Garcia, 37, is the only one in the family of five who is not a U.S. citizen, but he is the sole provider for all of them. He arrived after crossing the border in 2009 and since then he has send money to his family in Mexico. He has a construction business in Los Angeles and drives their three children to school, one of whom receives a private Catholic education. His wife, Maria, was in a car accident in 2023 and has had three surgeries. She cannot work and wasn’t able to even drive for more than a year, until recently.
“I didn’t think this was going to happen. It’s very hard,” said Roberto Garcia, referring to the order that halted the parole program. “We are not a priority. It is bad that they play with people’s feelings.”
Eligibility requirements include continuously living in the country for 10 years, not posing a security threat or having a disqualifying criminal history and to have been married as of June 17, the announcement date of the program.
Applicants also had to submit a lengthy application and pay a $580 submission fee.
Maria Garcia said that they have paid about $3,000 to attorneys who have helped them to prepare all the documents requested to apply for the parole-in-place program. The government has said that it is still receiving the applications, even though they cannot approve them. But since the policy is on hold and the attorney did not submit their application yet, Maria Garcia said she is thinking twice before paying the hefty submission fee.
If approved, applicants have three years to seek permanent residency. During that period, they can get a work authorization.
Before this program, it was complicated for people who were in the U.S. illegally to get a green card after marrying an American citizen. They can be required to return to their home country — often for years — and they always face the risk they may not be allowed back in.
Maria Garcia said she is losing hope and considering moving to Mexico, where her husband has his parents and brothers.
“We will never be able to buy a house here,” she said. “Here if you do things wrong, they reward you. If you do things right, they punish you,” she said.
___ Salomon reported from Miami. Associated Press writer Rebecca Santana in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (1381)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Jack Gohlke joins ESPN's Pat McAfee after Oakland's historic March Madness win vs. Kentucky
- Another March Madness disappointment means it's time for Kentucky and John Calipari to part
- What is known about Kate’s cancer diagnosis
- 'Most Whopper
- Larsa Pippen, ex-wife of Scottie, and Marcus Jordan, son of Michael Jordan, split after 2 years
- Multi-state manhunt underway for squatters accused of killing woman inside NYC apartment
- Hundreds of thousands of financial aid applications need to be fixed after latest calculation error
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Pair of massive great white sharks surface off Florida coast within a minute of each other
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Kate Middleton Breaks Silence on Health Journey to Share Cancer Diagnosis
- Regina King Offers Sweet Gesture to Jimmy Kimmel During Conversation After Her Son's Death
- Who is Dan Schneider? The Nickelodeon 'golden boy' accused of abusive behavior in new doc
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Kansas City Chiefs trading star CB L'Jarius Sneed to Tennessee Titans, per report
- March Madness games today: Everything to know about NCAA Tournament schedule on Friday
- Kelly Ripa's Trainer Anna Kaiser Invites You Inside Her Fun Workouts With Daughter Lola Consuelos
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
The market for hippo body parts is bigger than you think. Animal groups suing to halt trade
Missouri GOP sues to remove candidate with ties to KKK from Republican ballot
Jack Gohlke joins ESPN's Pat McAfee after Oakland's historic March Madness win vs. Kentucky
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
This week on Sunday Morning (March 24)
Why Kate Middleton Decided to Share Her Cancer Diagnosis
Michael Jackson's son Bigi slams grandmother Katherine over funds from dad's estate