Current:Home > InvestRepublican National Committee’s headquarters evacuated after vials of blood are addressed to Trump -WealthRoots Academy
Republican National Committee’s headquarters evacuated after vials of blood are addressed to Trump
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 21:19:15
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican National Committee’s Washington headquarters was briefly evacuated on Wednesday as police investigated two vials of blood that had been addressed to former President Donald Trump following the presumptive presidential nominee’s takeover of the national party apparatus.
Hazardous-materials teams were called in after the vials were discovered, according to the U.S. Capitol Police, who said they would continue to investigate. It was unclear if anyone came into contact with the blood and to whom it belonged.
The vials were addressed to Trump, according to a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak about it publicly. It was unclear if any message accompanied the vials explaining why they were sent.
Spokespeople for the RNC and the U.S. Secret Service did not immediately return messages seeking comment. The Metropolitan Police Department and the local fire department referred comment to the Capitol Police.
Earlier Wednesday, the Capitol Police issued a statement advising people to avoid the block where the RNC is located, a short walk southeast of the Capitol. The House sergeant at arms, the U.S. House of Representatives’ chief law enforcement and protocol officer, sent out information advising traffic restrictions in the area “due to law enforcement activity at the RNC.”
Trump’s handpicked leadership — including his daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, as the party’s national vice chair and former North Carolina GOP Chairman Michael Whatley as RNC chairman — recently took over the RNC, completing his takeover of the national party as he closes in on a third straight GOP presidential nomination. A Trump campaign senior adviser, Chris LaCivita, has taken over as the RNC chief of staff.
Wednesday’s situation comes less than two months from the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, where Trump is slated to become the party’s official 2024 nominee and significant protests are expected. According to a letter sent last month to the Secret Service, RNC counsel Todd Steggerda asked officials to keep protesters back farther from the site than had been originally planned, arguing that an existing plan “creates an elevated and untenable safety risk to the attending public.”
___
Kinnard reported from Columbia, S.C., and Price reported from New York. AP writers Ashraf Khalil and Alanna Durkin Richer in Washington contributed reporting.
veryGood! (2471)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Rally shooter had photos of Trump, Biden and other US officials on his phone, AP sources say
- Prime Day 2024 Last Chance Deal: Get 57% Off Yankee Candles While You Still Can
- 2-year-old dies after being left in a hot car in New York. It’s the 12th US case in 2024.
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- In deal with DOJ and ACLU, Tennessee agrees to remove sex workers with HIV from sex offender registry
- House Republicans ramp up investigations into Trump assassination attempt
- GOP vice presidential pick Vance talks Appalachian ties in speech as resentment over memoir simmers
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- US agency says apps that let workers access paychecks before payday are providing loans
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Cavan Sullivan becomes youngest in US major sports to make pro debut
- Stegosaurus named Apex goes for $44.6M at auction, most expensive fossil ever sold
- Justin Long Admits He S--t the Bed Next to Wife Kate Bosworth in TMI Confession
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Is vaping better than smoking? Here's what experts say.
- Atlanta man arrested after driving nearly 3 hours to take down Confederate flag in SC: Officials
- Angelina Jolie Asks Brad Pitt to End the Fighting in Legal Battle
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Olivia Wilde Shares Rare Photo of Her and Jason Sudeikis’ 7-Year-Old Daughter Daisy
British Open ’24: How to watch, who are the favorites and more to know about golf’s oldest event
Last Chance for Amazon Prime Day 2024 Deals: Top Finds Under $25 on Beauty, Home, Travel, Kids & More
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez Didn’t Acknowledge Their Anniversary—Here’s What They Did Instead
Jury tries again for a verdict in Detroit synagogue leader’s murder
Caitlin Clark has 19 assists break WNBA record in Fever’s 101-93 loss to Wings