Current:Home > MyA Minnesota trooper is charged with murder in the shooting death of Ricky Cobb II -WealthRoots Academy
A Minnesota trooper is charged with murder in the shooting death of Ricky Cobb II
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 16:37:43
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minnesota State Patrol trooper has been charged with murder Wednesday in the shooting death of motorist Ricky Cobb II during a July traffic stop.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said at a news conference that her office charged Trooper Ryan Londregan with second-degree unintentional murder, first-degree assault and second degree manslaughter in the death of Cobb.
“As with all Minnesota law enforcement officers, state troopers may only use deadly force when it is necessary to protect a person from a specific identified threat of great bodily harm or death that was reasonably likely to occur. That did not exist in this case. Ricky Cobb II should be alive today,” Moriarty said.
Londregan shot Cobb after he refused to leave his car during a stop on a Minneapolis freeway, according to the Minnesota Public Safety Department’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which investigates police shootings.
Trooper Brett Seide initially pulled Cobb over when he saw the taillights were out on the Ford Fusion Cobb was driving, according to the bureau.
The bureau has said previously that Seide checked Cobb’s record and found he was wanted for a “probable cause arrest for a felony order-for-protection violation” issued by the nearby Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office.
Londregan and Trooper Garrett Erickson arrived later and helped as Seide tried to pull Cobb out of the car before Londregan shot him and Cobb drove away. The vehicle Cobb was driving stopped on the interstate shortly after that, and the bureau said the troopers attempted to save Cobb. He died at the scene.
veryGood! (6815)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- HIV prevention drugs known as PrEP are highly effective, but many at risk don't know about them
- North Carolina voter ID lawsuit heading for trial after judge declines to end challenge
- Valerie Bertinelli is in a relationship after divorce: 'I’m incredibly grateful for him'
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Officers kill armed man outside of Las Vegas-area complex before finding 3 slain women inside
- Biden heads to the Michigan county emerging as the swing state’s top bellwether
- March Madness bubble winners and losers: Villanova keeps NCAA Tournament hopes alive. Barely.
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Realtor.com adds climate change risk features; 40% of US homes show risks of heat, wind, air quality
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Georgia judge tosses some charges against Trump and others in 2020 election case
- Olivia Munn reveals breast cancer diagnosis, underwent double mastectomy
- Former NFL coach Jon Gruden lands advisory role with football team in Italy
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Yankees ace Gerrit Cole out until at least May, will undergo more elbow exams
- Nikki Reed Shares Postpartum Hair Shedding Problem After Welcoming Baby No. 2 With Ian Somerhalder
- Royal insider says Princess Kate photo scandal shows wheels are coming off Kensington Palace PR
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Massachusetts man gets prison for making bomb threat to Arizona election office
Dollar General employees at Wisconsin store make statement by walking out: 'We quit!'
Royal insider says Princess Kate photo scandal shows wheels are coming off Kensington Palace PR
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
DeSantis orders Florida resources to stop any increase in Haitian migrants fleeing violence
Drake Bell Shares He Was Sexually Abused at 15
SZA reflects on having breast implants removed due to cancer risk: 'I didn't feel good'