Current:Home > FinanceTrial set to begin for man charged in 2017 Charlottesville torch rally at the University of Virginia -WealthRoots Academy
Trial set to begin for man charged in 2017 Charlottesville torch rally at the University of Virginia
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 21:38:00
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — Years after a white nationalist rally erupted in violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, a trial is set to begin Tuesday for one of the people charged with using flaming torches to intimidate counterprotesters.
The trial of Jacob Joseph Dix, 29, of Clarksville, Ohio, would be the first test of a 2002 law that makes it a felony to burn something to intimidate and cause fear of injury or death. Lawmakers passed the law after the state Supreme Court ruled that a cross-burning statute used to prosecute Ku Klux Klan members was unconstitutional.
On the night of Aug. 11, 2017, several hundred white nationalists marched through the campus of the University of Virginia, many carrying torches and some chanting, “Jews Will Not Replace Us.” Two days of demonstrations were organized in part to protest the planned removal of a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee and was believed to be the largest gathering of white nationalists in a decade.
Indictments unsealed last year showed 11 people had been charged with intimidation by fire, but prosecutors have not said whether additional defendants were also charged. So far, five people have pleaded guilty to the charge. Dix is the first to go on trial.
After the clash at the university, violence broke out the next day when a “Unite the Right” rally was planned. After police declared the gathering an unlawful assembly and the crowd began to disperse, James Alex Fields Jr., a white supremacist from Maumee, Ohio, intentionally rammed his car into a crowd of counterprotesters, killing one and injuring dozens. Fields is serving a life sentence for murder and hate crimes.
Dix told The Daily Progress newspaper that he has changed during the last seven years.
“I’m kind of on trial for a past life,” he told the newspaper during a court hearing in January.
Dix’s attorney, Peter Frazier, has argued in court documents that the white nationalists were expressing free speech protected under the First Amendment.
Henrico Commonwealth’s Attorney Shannon Taylor was appointed as a special prosecutor in the case after a judge granted a request from Dix’s attorney to remove Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney James Hingeley’s office from the case because of a conflict of interest involving an assistant commonwealth’s attorney.
The trial in Albemarle Circuit Court is expected to last about a week.
veryGood! (73539)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Uncle Howdy makes highly anticipated return to WWE on Raw, continues Bray Wyatt's legacy
- Quavo hosts summit against gun violence featuring VP Kamala Harris on late rapper Takeoff’s birthday
- Secret Service agent robbed at gunpoint during Biden’s Los Angeles trip, police say
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- McDonald's ends AI drive-thru orders — for now
- On Father's Day, I realize my son helps me ask for the thing I need: A step to healing
- Zac Efron Admits His Younger Siblings Are Getting Him Ready for Fatherhood
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Boston Celtics defeat Dallas Mavericks to win 2024 NBA Finals
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Psst! Wayfair’s Anniversary Sale Is Here—Score Furniture, Lighting, and Decor up to 70% Off
- An anti-abortion group in South Dakota sues to take an abortion rights initiative off the ballot
- 2024 College World Series live: Updates, score and more for Florida vs. NC State
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Newborn baby found abandoned near Texas walking trail
- Katie Ledecky wins 200 free at Olympic trials. Why she likely plans to give up spot
- Catastrophic Titan sub disaster: A year later the search for answers continues.
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
2 bodies, believed to be a father and his teen daughter, recovered from Texas river
Stellantis recalling nearly 1.2 million vehicles to fix software glitch that disables rear camera
A woman may be freed after 43 years for a grisly murder. Was a police officer the real killer?
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Can Florida win Stanley Cup? Panthers vs. Oilers live stream, TV, odds, keys to Game 5
Celtics back home with chance to close out Mavericks and clinch record 18th NBA championship
Judge orders BNSF to pay Washington tribe nearly $400 million for trespassing with oil trains