Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|House Speaker Mike Johnson proposes 2-step stopgap funding bill to avert government shutdown -WealthRoots Academy
Algosensey|House Speaker Mike Johnson proposes 2-step stopgap funding bill to avert government shutdown
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:52:30
House Speaker Mike Johnson unveiled his proposal on AlgosenseySaturday to avoid a partial government shutdown by extending government funding for some agencies and programs until Jan. 19, and continuing funding for others until Feb. 2.
The approach is unusual for a stopgap spending bill. Usually, lawmakers extend funding until a certain date for all programs. Johnson decided to go with the combination approach, addressing concerns from GOP lawmakers seeking to avoid being presented with a massive spending bill just before the holidays.
"This two-step continuing resolution is a necessary bill to place House Republicans in the best position to fight for conservative victories," Johnson said in a statement after speaking with GOP lawmakers in an afternoon conference call. "The bill will stop the absurd holiday-season omnibus tradition of massive, loaded up spending bills introduced right before the Christmas recess."
The bill excludes funding requested by President Biden for Israel, Ukraine and the U.S. border with Mexico. Johnson said separating Mr. Biden's request for an emergency supplemental bill from the temporary, stopgap measure "places our conference in the best position to fight for fiscal responsibility, oversight over Ukraine aid, and meaningful policy changes at our Southern border."
Hardline conservatives, usually loathe to support temporary spending measures of any sort, had indicated they would give Johnson some leeway to pass legislation, known as a continuing resolution, or CR, to give Congress more time to negotiate a long-term agreement.
But, some were critical in their reactions following the conference call.
"My opposition to the clean CR just announced by the Speaker to the @HouseGOP cannot be overstated," GOP Rep. Chip Roy of Texas tweeted on X. "Funding Pelosi level spending & policies for 75 days - for future 'promises.'"
The federal government is operating under funding levels approved last year by a Democratic-led House and Senate. Facing a government shutdown when the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, Congress passed a 47-day continuing resolution that funds the government through Nov. 17, but the fallout was severe. Rep. Kevin McCarthy was booted from the speakership days later, and the House was effectively paralyzed for most of the month while Republicans tried to elect a replacement.
Republicans eventually were unanimous in electing Johnson speaker, but his elevation has hardly eased the dynamic that led to McCarthy's removal — a conference torn on policy as well as how much to spend on federal programs. This past week, Republicans had to pull two spending bills from the floor — one to fund transportation and housing programs and the other to fund the Treasury Department, Small Business Administration and other agencies — because they didn't have the votes in their own party to push them through the House.
A document explaining Johnson's proposal to House Republicans, obtained by The Associated Press, said funding for four spending bills would be extended until Jan. 19. Veterans programs, and bills dealing with transportation, housing, agriculture and energy, would be part of that extension.
Funding for the eight other spending bills, which include defense, the State Department, Homeland Security and other government agencies would be extended until Feb. 2.
"It's a good thing the speaker didn't include unnecessary cuts and kept defense funding with the second group of programs," a Senate Democrat leadership aide told CBS News.
The document sent to GOP lawmakers and key staff states that Johnson inherited a budget mess. He took office less than three weeks ago and immediately began considering appropriations bills through regular order. Still, with just days remaining before a shutdown, a continuing resolution is now required.
"This proposal is just a recipe for more Republican chaos and more shutdowns — full stop," White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said in a statement Saturday on Johnson's proposal. "With just days left before an Extreme Republican Shutdown—and after shutting down Congress for three weeks after they ousted their own leader — House Republicans are wasting precious time with an unserious proposal that has been panned by members of both parties."
Underscoring the concerns about the possibility of a shutdown, the credit rating agency Moody's Investors Service lowered its outlook on the U.S. government's debt on Friday to "negative" from "stable," citing the cost of rising interest rates and political polarization in Congress.
House Republicans pointed to the national debt, now exceeding $33 trillion, for Moody's decision. Analysts have warned that with interest rates heading higher, interest costs on the national debt will eat up a rising share of tax revenue.
Johnson said in reaction to Moody's announcement that House Republicans are committed to working in a bipartisan fashion for fiscal restraint, beginning with the introduction of a debt commission.
- In:
- Mike Johnson
- Government Shutdown
veryGood! (24736)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- How Gigi Hadid Dove Into a Deep Relationship With Bradley Cooper
- Climate politics and the bottom line — CBS News poll
- Missouri lawmakers again try to kick Planned Parenthood off Medicaid
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Jelly Roll was bullied off the internet due to weight, wife Bunnie XO says: 'It hurts him'
- Jets trade Zach Wilson to Broncos, officially cutting bait on former starting QB
- Trevor Bauer accuser may have been a fraud. But most reports of sexual violence are real.
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Restaurant chain Tijuana Flats files for bankruptcy, announces closure of 11 locations
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Prince Louis Is All Grown Up in Royally Sweet 6th Birthday Portrait
- Supreme Court denies request by Arizona candidates seeking to ban electronic vote tabulators
- Celebrity designer Nancy Gonzalez sentenced to prison for smuggling handbags made of python skin
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Israeli airstrike on a house kills at least 9 in southern Gaza city of Rafah, including 6 children
- Internet providers roll out broadband nutrition labels for consumers
- 'Deadpool & Wolverine' drops new trailer featuring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman in action
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Storm relief and funding for programs related to Maine’s deadliest-ever shooting included in budget
For years, a Michigan company has been the top pick to quickly personalize draftees’ new NFL jerseys
Man charged with hate crime for vandalizing Islamic center at Rutgers, prosecutors say
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
With graduation near, colleges seek to balance safety and students’ right to protest Gaza war
Supreme Court denies request by Arizona candidates seeking to ban electronic vote tabulators
Stock market today: Asian stocks track Wall Street gains ahead of earnings reports