Current:Home > InvestBuca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations -WealthRoots Academy
Buca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 02:36:17
On the heels of closing scores of locations in recent weeks, Buca Di Beppo has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, court documents filed Monday show.
The company blamed its financial woes on things including rising costs and hiring difficulty, according to information from the restaurant and court papers filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
In its 21-page petition obtained by USA TODAY, the Orlando-based casual restaurant chain named 30 creditors it owes close to $50 million.
The chain of Italian-American restaurants has been slowly shuttering its doors since COVID hit in 2020 and last month closed nearly 20% of its locations, according to Restaurant Business Magazine.
On July 30, the magazine reported Buca's parent company Earl Enterprises said several of its locations "had been unable to recover from the pandemic and other market pressures."
Learn more: Best debt consolidation loans
In a statement released by the eatery Monday, leaders wrote Buca is restructuring 44 core locations and is in the process of opening one new location.
"The company is committed to ensuring that the restaurants operate as usual, and all gift cards, reservations, and promotional services currently remain active and redeemable," the statement reads.
"While the restaurant industry has faced significant challenges, this move is the best next step for our brand," said the company's President Rich Saultz. "By restructuring with the continued support of our lenders, we are paving the way toward a reinvigorated future. Buca di Beppo has been a beloved gathering place for celebrations and memorable meals for many years, and we are enthusiastic about entering this next phase of our brand's story."
What Buca di Beppo stores closed most recently?
Known for their family-style serving portions of Italian food, the company most recently shuttered other locations in Arizona, California, Pennsylvania, Utah and Michigan.
Founded in 1993 in a Minneapolis apartment basement, Planet Hollywood International purchased the casual chain in 2008.
How many Buca di Beppos remain open?
According to the company, 44 locations in 14 states will remain open.
The Buca di Beppo website appears to list active restaurants on it's location finder.
"We believe this path will best allow us to continue to serve Buca's patrons and communities for many years to come," William Snyder, Chief Restructuring Officer of Buca C, LLC, released in a statement Monday after signing the bankruptcy petition.
"We are open for business in 44 locations, and we expect day-to-day operations to continue uninterrupted.," Snyder said. "We anticipate moving through this process as quickly and efficiently as possible to emerge as a stronger organization built for the future."
The petition named the company's attorney, Amber Carson who could not immediately be reached.
USA TODAY has reached out to Buca for more information.
Contributing: Maria Frances and Bahar Anooshahr
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (695)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Tennessee bill to untangle gun and voting rights restoration is killed for the year
- City of Marshall getting $1.7M infrastructure grant to boost Arkansas manufacturing jobs
- Kansas City Chiefs’ Rashee Rice facing aggravated assault charge after high-speed crash in Dallas
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Valerie Bertinelli slams Food Network: 'It's not about cooking or learning any longer'
- 2 Nigerian brothers plead guilty to sexual extortion after death of Michigan teen
- New sonar images show remnants of Baltimore bridge collapse amid challenging recovery plan
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- First Muslim American appellate court nominee faces uphill battle to salvage nomination
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- What are the most difficult holes at the Masters? Ranking Augusta National's toughest holes
- Astrology Influencer Allegedly Killed Partner and Pushed Kids Out of Moving Car Before April 8 Eclipse
- At least two shot when gunfire erupts at Philadelphia Eid event, official tells AP
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- A Blair Witch Project Remake Is in the Works and Ready to Haunt You
- 6 months into Israel-Hamas war, Palestinians return to southern Gaza city Khan Younis to find everything is destroyed
- Save up to 54% on Samsonite’s Chic & Durable Carry-Ons, Luggage Sets, Duffels, Toiletry Bags & More
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Social Security's COLA estimate rises. But seniors could struggle as inflation heats up.
Your Dogs Will Give Loungefly's Disney-Themed Pet Accessories a 5-Paw Rating
What are the most difficult holes at the Masters? Ranking Augusta National's toughest holes
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Stocks tumble as hot inflation numbers douse hopes of June interest rate cut
Ex-worker at New Hampshire youth detention center describes escalating retaliation for complaints
Masters Par 3 Contest coverage: Leaderboard, highlights from Rickie Fowler’s win