Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Maine gunman says reservists were worried he was going to do something because ‘I am capable’ -WealthRoots Academy
TradeEdge-Maine gunman says reservists were worried he was going to do something because ‘I am capable’
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:06:57
PORTLAND,TradeEdge Maine (AP) — An Army reservist responsible for Maine’s deadliest mass shooting told state police in New York before his hospitalization last summer that fellow soldiers were worried about him because he was ”gonna friggin’ do something.”
Reservist Robert Card told troopers who escorted him to a hospital in upstate New York that fellow reservists and others kept talking about him behind his back, “and it’s getting old,” according to police body cam video obtained by WMTW-TV and others under New York’s Freedom of Information Law.
“They’re scared ’cause I’m gonna friggin’ do something. Because I am capable,” Card said to the New York State Police officers.
The release of the police body cam video recorded July 16 followed the release of a new detail Thursday by Maine State Police who addressed an independent commission investigating the tragedy: A review of Card’s cellphone revealed a note he had written three days before the Oct. 25 shooting in Lewiston in which he said he’d “had enough” and warned he was “trained to hurt people.”
The 40-year-old Card killed 18 people and wounded 13 at a bowling alley and a bar, leading to the largest manhunt in state history and tens of thousands of people sheltering in their homes. Card’s body was found two days later. He had died by suicide.
The police body cam video provided a chilling glimpse of Card after he had been involved in an altercation and locked himself in his motel room, alarming fellow reservists from Maine. He appeared thinner than normal, his fellow reservists said.
An earlier report by state police indicated he had threatened fellow reservists. But New York State Police said in a statement that he was never in custody. Card was driven to Keller Army Hospital for evaluation by fellow reservists, and troopers followed the private vehicle. Card ended up spending two weeks at a psychiatric hospital.
Police and the Army were warned Card was suffering from deteriorating mental health long before the shooting.
Family members warned police in May that that the 40-year-old Card was growing paranoid and expressed concern about his access to guns before the incident unfolded while his unit was training in July in upstate New York. In August, the Army barred Card from handling weapons on duty and declared him nondeployable.
Then in September, a fellow reservist who considered Card to be his best friend provided a stark warning, telling an Army superior that Card was going to “snap and do a mass shooting.”
Dressed in gym shorts and an Army T-shirt, Card told New York state police people were talking behind his back for about six months. He said people were starting rumors that he was gay and a pedophile. He said he’d heard snippets of people talking behind his back, and that he’d heard that the rumors were posted online, though he could not find anything online.
Card also told troopers he was not on any prescription medication.
In Maine, a warning that Card might “shoot up” the Saco armory where his reserve unit was based prompted a Sagadahoc County deputy to try to meet with Card at his home in Bowdoin. Card did not come to the door, even though he was believed to be inside, and the deputy said he did not have legal authority to knock down the door to force an encounter to assess whether he should be taken into protective custody. That step is necessary to trigger Maine’s “yellow flag” law, which allows a judge to temporarily remove someone’s guns during a psychiatric health crisis.
The deputy said an Army official suggested letting the situation “simmer” rather than forcing a confrontation. The deputy also received assurances from Card’s family that they were removing his access to guns.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Man shot during Lil Baby concert in Memphis: What to know
- America’s retired North Korea intelligence officer offers a parting message on the nuclear threat
- Sharon Osbourne Reveals the Rudest Celebrity She's Ever Met
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3' heads for the homeland
- There will be no gold for the USA at the Basketball World Cup, after 113-111 loss to Germany
- Hurricane Lee is now a Category 4 storm. Here's what to know about the major hurricane.
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Ex-cop charged with murder: Video shows officer rushed to car, quickly shot through window
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- Poet Rita Dove to receive an honorary National Book Award medal for lifetime achievement
- How to Watch the 2023 MTV VMAs on TV and Online
- Why Mark-Paul Gosselaar Regrets This Problematic Saved by the Bell Scene
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Customs and Border Protection reveals secret ground zero in its fight against fentanyl
- The Surprising Ways the Royal Family Has Changed Since Queen Elizabeth II's Death
- President Biden declares 3 Georgia counties are eligible for disaster aid after Hurricane Idalia
Recommendation
Small twin
Pelosi says she’ll run for reelection in 2024 as Democrats try to win back House majority
America’s retired North Korea intelligence officer offers a parting message on the nuclear threat
Flooding in Greece and neighboring nations leaves 14 dead, but 800 rescued from the torrents
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
How the Royal Family Is Honoring Queen Elizabeth II On First Anniversary of Her Death
Special grand jury report that aided Georgia probe leading to Trump’s indictment is set for release
Hurricane Lee is now a Category 4 storm. Here's what to know about the major hurricane.