Current:Home > StocksLos Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements -WealthRoots Academy
Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 18:36:16
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile detention facilities, on the verge of shutting down over safety issues and other problems, can remain open, state regulators decided Thursday.
The Board of State and Community Corrections voted to lift its “unsuitable” designation for Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar and Central Juvenile Hall in Boyle Heights.
Both facilities could have been forced to shut down April 16 because of failed inspections over the past year.
The state board, which inspects the youth prisons, determined last year that the county had been unable to correct problems including inadequate safety checks, low staffing, use of force and a lack of recreation and exercise.
Board chair Linda Penner said while the county had made some improvements, officials should not consider the outcome of the vote “mission accomplished,” the Southern California News Group reported.
“Your mission now is sustainability and durability. We need continued compliance,” Penner said.
Only six of the 13 board members supported keeping the lockups open. Three voted against it, saying they did not believe Los Angeles County could maintain improvements at the facilities long-term. The other four abstained or recused themselves.
Board members warned the county that if future inspections result in an unsuitable designation, they would not hesitate to close the facilities.
The Los Angeles County Probation Department, which oversees the juvenile halls, said it was stabilizing staffing levels and improving training procedures. Probation Chief Guillermo Viera Rosa said his department acknowledges “the ongoing concerns and acknowledge there’s still much more to be done.”
The Peace and Justice Law Center, which advocates for prison reform, said the juvenile halls need “real fixes, not temporary Band-Aids.” Co-Execuitve Director Sean Garcia-Leys told the news group that the nonprofit plans to conduct a private audit to try to determine “why the board has reversed itself and decided a few weeks of compliance with standards outweigh the years of failure to meet minimum standards.”
The board’s decision comes after California phased out its three remaining state-run youth prisons and shifting the responsibility to counties.
The shift to local control is the final step in a lengthy reform effort driven in part by a class-action lawsuit and incentives for counties to keep youths out of the state system. The state-run system has a troubled history marked by inmate suicides and brawls.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Pennsylvania outage map: Nearly 150,000 power outages reported as Nor'easter slams region
- How's your defense industry knowledge?
- This Trailer for Millie Bobby Brown's Thriller Movie Will Satisfy Stranger Things Fans
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- More than a dozen injured after tour boat and charter boat crash in Miami waters, officials
- Inside Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker’s First Valentine’s Day as Family of 9
- Police release new sketches of suspected killer of Maryland mom of 5 Rachel Morin
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Chiefs fans are hoping for a Taylor Swift appearance at victory parade. But her schedule is tight
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Honda, Kia, Nissan among more than 1.1 million vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Usher, Goicoechea got marriage license days before Super Bowl halftime show. But have they used it?
- Man pleads guilty to embezzling millions meant to fund Guatemala forestry projects
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Judge to proceed with hearing to consider motion to disqualify Fani Willis from Trump Georgia election case
- Accident investigators push the FAA for better cockpit voice recorders on all planes
- Kaia Gerber Shares Why She Keeps Her Romance With Austin Butler Private
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Maine mass shooting commission gets subpoena power
Democrats seek to strengthen majority in Pennsylvania House as voters cast ballots
Gen Zers are recording themselves getting fired in growing TikTok trend
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Trump indicates he would encourage Russian aggression against NATO allies who don't meet spending targets
This Valentine's Day show your love with heart-shaped pizza, donuts, nuggets and more
Serena Williams Shares Empowering Message About Not Having a Picture-Perfect Body