Current:Home > reviews40 Filipinos flee war-ravaged Gaza Strip through Rafah crossing and arrive in Egypt -WealthRoots Academy
40 Filipinos flee war-ravaged Gaza Strip through Rafah crossing and arrive in Egypt
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 03:45:39
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Dozens of Filipinos fled from the war-ravaged Gaza Strip into Egypt through the Rafah crossing after Filipino diplomats negotiated for their safe passage and Qatar mediated for the border to be opened, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said Wednesday.
The 40 Filipinos were traveling to the Egyptian capital of Cairo, where they planned to take flights back to the Philippines, Marcos said in a video message in Manila. Two Filipino doctors managed to leave the Gaza Strip into Egypt last week.
“I hope the rest of our countrymen who also wanted to return home can also exit properly with their spouses and loved ones,” Marcos said.
Most of at least 134 Filipinos in Gaza, many of whom are married to Palestinians, have sought help to leave the besieged territory and are waiting for an opportunity to leave, the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila said.
Hamas militants rampaged in southern Israel on Oct. 7, which sparked a war between Israel and Hamas.
Before the war began, about 30,000 Filipinos were living and working in Israel, many as caregivers who look after the elderly, the ill and those with physical disabilities, according to the Philippines’ foreign ministry. The huge income they send back home has helped keep the country’s fragile economy afloat.
The Philippines is a major source of manual labor worldwide.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Michigan deputy is fatally shot during a traffic stop in the state’s second such loss in a week
- Ohio teen accused of having school hit list pleads guilty to inducing panic
- Bachelorette Jenn Tran Shares Advice Michelle Young Gave Her About Facing Racism
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Princess Anne Released From Hospital After Sustaining Head Injury
- EA Sports College Football 25 defense rankings: Check out ratings for top 25 teams
- Marilyn Monroe’s former Los Angeles home declared a historic monument to save it from demolition
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Iran votes in snap poll for new president after hard-liner’s death amid rising tensions in Mideast
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Delaware lawmakers approve a $1.1 billion capital budget for the fiscal year starting Monday
- Arizona wound care company charged for billing older patients about $1 million each in skin graft scheme
- Former Uvalde school police chief and officer indicted over Robb Elementary response, reports say
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Tesla Bay Area plant ordered to stop spewing toxic emissions after repeated violations
- LeBron James' Son Bronny James Is Officially Joining Him on Los Angeles Lakers in NBA
- Dr. Jennifer 'Jen' Ashton says farewell to 'Good Morning America,' ABC News after 13 years
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Princess Anne Released From Hospital After Sustaining Head Injury
Woman accused of poisoning husband's Mountain Dew with herbicide Roundup, insecticide
Minnesota judge is reprimanded for stripping voting rights from people with felonies
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Why Simone Biles is 'close to unstoppable' as she just keeps getting better with age
Delaware lawmakers approve a $1.1 billion capital budget for the fiscal year starting Monday
Tesla Bay Area plant ordered to stop spewing toxic emissions after repeated violations