Current:Home > InvestSurvivors of a deadly migrant shipwreck off Greece file lawsuit over botched rescue claim -WealthRoots Academy
Survivors of a deadly migrant shipwreck off Greece file lawsuit over botched rescue claim
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:28:21
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Survivors of a deadly migrant shipwreck in southern Greece three months ago are suing authorities for failing to intervene to rescue passengers before their vessel capsized in international waters, their lawyers said Thursday.
Hundreds of migrants are believed to have been trapped and killed when a modified fishing trawler sank south of Greece in mid-June.
The Greek coast guard had been shadowing the vessel along a section of its journey from Libya to Italy. Only 104 people were pulled from the sea alive — all men and boys — while 82 bodies, only one of them a woman, were recovered.
The rest, including women and children, sank in one of the deepest parts of the Mediterranean. With depths of around 4,000 meters (13,000 feet) in that area, any recovery of the vessel or its victims are all but impossible.
Many of the survivors dispute the official account that repeated offers of assistance by the coast guard were rejected and claim that a botched effort was made to tow the vessel to safety only shortly before it capsized and sank.
The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a group of 40 survivors against “all parties responsible” at the port of Piraeus, near Athens, on Wednesday.
The plaintiffs say the coast guard failed to act promptly “to rescue the passengers on board the obviously unseaworthy and overloaded fishing vessel,” according to a statement by three volunteer organizations of lawyers and migrants rights groups assisting the case.
They are seeking “the attribution of criminal responsibility for the acts and omissions by the Greek authorities,” the lawyers said.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of global migration at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (51281)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- 'American Fiction' told my story. Being a dementia caretaker is exhausting.
- More than 1.6 million Tesla electric vehicles recalled in China for autopilot, lock issues
- Nadal withdraws from the Australian Open with an injury just one tournament into his comeback
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Coal miners in North Dakota unearth a mammoth tusk buried for thousands of years
- Why Gypsy Rose Blanchard's Ex Nicholas Godejohn Filed a New Appeal in Murder Conviction Case
- Former Colorado police officer gets 14 months in jail for Elijah McClain's death
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Trevor Lawrence injury updates: Jaguars QB active for Week 18 game vs. Titans
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Roy Calne, a surgeon who led Europe’s first liver transplant, has died aged 93
- Mexico authorities rescue 32 migrants, including 9 kids, abducted on way to U.S. border
- Over 100 evacuate Russia’s Belgorod while soldiers celebrate Orthodox Christmas on the front line
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Why John Mayer Absolutely Wants to Be Married
- Hate crimes reached record levels in 2023. Why 'a perfect storm' could push them higher
- Cameron Diaz Speaks Out After Being Mentioned in Jeffrey Epstein Documents
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
New Year, New Shoes— Save Up to 80% on Kate Spade, UGG, Sam Edelman, Steve Madden & More
Track star, convicted killer, now parolee. A timeline of Oscar Pistorius’s life
Former Raiders linebacker Jack Squirek, best known for Super Bowl 18 pick-six, dies at 64
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
A minibus explodes in Kabul, killing at least 2 civilians and wounding 14 others
The US sees a drop in illegal border crossings after Mexico increases enforcement
Homicide suspect sentenced to 25-plus years to 50-plus years in escape, kidnapping of elderly couple