Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Florida man arrested while attempting to run across Atlantic Ocean in giant hamster wheel -WealthRoots Academy
Johnathan Walker:Florida man arrested while attempting to run across Atlantic Ocean in giant hamster wheel
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:48:02
A Florida man,Johnathan Walker who is an ultra-marathon runner, was arrested while allegedly attempting to run across the Atlantic Ocean to London in a makeshift human-sized hamster wheel.
The U.S. Coast Guard first spotted Reza Ray Baluchi's homemade "Hydro Pod vessel" 70 miles off the coast of Tybee Island, Georgia, on Aug. 26 in the midst of preparations for Hurricane Franklin, according to a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court of Southern Florida. The vessel was afloat by wiring and buoys and can best be described as a hamster wheel. He made a similar attempt in 2021, according to USA TODAY Network partner Daytona News-Journal.
This is not Baluchi's first attempting at crossing the Atlantic. He was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard in a floating "hydro pod" bubble in 2014.
All told, it took the U.S. Coast Guard about five days to bring Baluchi ashore during his latest attempt, according to the complaint. He was apprehended approximately 70 nautical miles east of Tybee Island.
Baluchi initially said his vessel was registered, but later said he couldn't find his documentation. When officers approached the vessel to end a "manifestly unsafe" voyage, Baluchi said he was armed with a 12-inch knife and threatened to die by suicide, according to the criminal complaint.
Another attempt the next day by officers to force Baluchi to disembark also failed after he allegedly threatened to blow himself up. Officers observed him holding wires, prompting them to contact the U.S. Navy Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit to help determine the blast radius of Baluchi's alleged bomb, according to the complaint. The complaint states that Baluchi admitted the next day that the bomb threat was not real.
Baluchi and his attorney Micki Bloom, an assistant federal public defender, did not respond to USA TODAY's request for comment on Wednesday.
Baluchi was finally brought ashore on Sept. 1. He now faces federal charges of obstruction of a boarding and violation of a Captain of the Port Order.
Baluchi told FOX 35 that the voyage was intended to raise money for charitable causes that include helping the homeless, the Coast Guard and the fire department.
"I’ll never give up my dream. They stop me four or five times, but I never give up," he told the outlet. According to the criminal complaint, Baluchi also attempted the same voyage in 2014, 2016, and 2021.
MORE:An American, a Brit and a Swede will soon attempt to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a hydrogen gas balloon
Running Cross-country
Baluchi claims a history of successful extreme runs, including a 2007 run around the perimeter of the U.S. to raise money for the Children's Hospital of Denver.
One year after the 9/11 attacks, Baluchi was arrested for attempting to enter the country illegally, according to CNN. He told CNN a judge agreed to release him on humanitarian grounds after he pledged to undertake a run from Los Angeles to New York City to commemorate the second anniversary of the attacks.
Cybele Mayes-Osterman covers breaking and national news for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @CybeleMO.
veryGood! (1135)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- National Cold Brew Day 2024 deals: Where to get free coffee and discounts on Saturday
- FAA launches investigation after MLB coach posts video from cockpit during flight
- Man dies after setting himself on fire near Trump trial courthouse in NYC. Here's what we know so far.
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- NBA playoffs 2024: Six players under pressure to perform this postseason
- Matty Healy's Aunt Shares His Reaction to Taylor Swift's Album Tortured Poets Department
- Halloweentown Costars Kimberly J. Brown and Daniel Kountz Are Married
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Record numbers in the US are homeless. Can cities fine them for sleeping in parks and on sidewalks?
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Police to review security outside courthouse hosting Trump’s trial after man sets himself on fire
- Joel Embiid returns after injury scare, but Knicks take Game 1 against 76ers
- U.N. official says Israel systematically impeding Gaza aid distribution
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Anthony Edwards, Minnesota Timberwolves roll over Phoenix Suns in Game 1
- Theater Review: ‘Stereophonic’ is a brilliant ‘Behind the Music’ play on Broadway
- Trump forced to listen silently to people insulting him as he trades a cocoon of adulation for court
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Councilwoman chosen as new Fort Wayne mayor, its 1st Black leader, in caucus to replace late mayor
Matty Healy's Aunt Shares His Reaction to Taylor Swift's Album Tortured Poets Department
Man City beats Chelsea with late Silva goal to make FA Cup final while Arsenal tops EPL
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Record numbers in the US are homeless. Can cities fine them for sleeping in parks and on sidewalks?
Beyoncé's 'II Hands II Heaven': Drea Kelly says her viral dance now has 'a life of its own'
This week on Sunday Morning (April 21)