Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-Georgia Medicaid program with work requirement has enrolled only 1,343 residents in 3 months -WealthRoots Academy
Indexbit-Georgia Medicaid program with work requirement has enrolled only 1,343 residents in 3 months
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 04:07:57
ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp’s new health plan for low-income adults has enrolled only 1,Indexbit343 people through the end of September about three months after launching, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.
The Georgia Department of Community Health has projected up to 100,000 people could eventually benefit from Georgia Pathways to Coverage. But the nation’s only Medicaid program that makes recipients meet a work requirement is off to a very slow start.
“We will continue working to educate Georgians about Pathways’ innovative, first-of-its-kind opportunity and enroll more individuals in the months to come,” Kemp’s office said in a statement.
The program’s creeping progress reflects fundamental flaws as compared to Medicaid expansions in other states, including the extra burden of submitting and verifying work hours, experts say. And some critics note it’s happening just as the state, as part of a federally mandated review, is kicking tens of thousands of people off its Medicaid rolls — at least some of whom could be eligible for Pathways.
“Pathways to Coverage is falling well short of these commitments to uninsured Georgians. Medicaid expansion would be a more effective way to meaningfully cover state residents and connect them to care,” Laura Colbert, executive director of the advocacy group Georgians for a Healthy Future, said in a statement Friday.
The state Department of Community Health had declined to provide sign-up numbers to the newspaper until the Journal-Constitution told Kemp’s office it would report that the state appeared to be violating its open records law. The department then provided the records, but denies violating the law.
The Biden administration has already tried to revoke Georgia’s Medicaid plan once and is monitoring it, so any missteps could have broader consequences. They could also hamper future efforts by Republicans to make Medicaid eligibility dependent on work.
The state launched Pathways on July 1 just as it began a review of Medicaid eligibility following the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency. Federal law prohibited states from removing people from Medicaid during the three-year emergency.
The state previously said it delayed the reevaluations of 160,000 people who were no longer eligible for traditional Medicaid but could qualify for Pathways to help them try to maintain health coverage. But observers have said they have detected little public outreach to target populations.
Thirty-nine states have expanded Medicaid eligibility to nearly all adults with incomes up to 138% of the federal poverty level, $20,120 annually for a single person and $41,400 for a family of four. North Carolina will become the 40th state to do so in December. None of those states require recipients to work in order to qualify.
That broader Medicaid expansion was a key part of President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul in 2010, but many Republican governors, including Kemp, rejected it. In addition to imposing a work requirement, Pathways limits coverage to able-bodied adults earning up to 100% of the poverty line — $14,580 for a single person or $30,000 for a family of four.
Kemp has argued full expansion would cost too much money. State officials and supporters of Pathways say the work requirement will also help transition Medicaid recipients to better, private health insurance, and argue that working, studying or volunteering leads to improved health.
Critics say many low-income people struggle to document the required 80 hours a month of work, volunteer activity, study or vocational rehabilitation.
veryGood! (559)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Prince Harry to attend charity event in London -- but meeting up with the family isn’t on the agenda
- Superbugs catch a ride on air pollution particles. Is that bad news for people?
- Kourtney Kardashian says baby is safe after urgent fetal surgery: I will be forever grateful
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- 2 attacks by Islamist insurgents in Mali leave 49 civilians and 15 soldiers dead, military says
- City lawsuit says SeaWorld San Diego theme park owes millions in back rent on leased waterfront land
- High school football coach at center of Supreme Court prayer case resigns after first game back
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Some pendants, rings and gold pearls. Norwegian archaeologists say it’s the gold find of the century
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- At least 21 killed, thousands displaced by Brazil cyclone
- Japan prosecutors arrest ex-vice foreign minister in bribery case linked to wind power company
- Ferry captain, 3 crewmates face homicide charges over death of tardy passenger pushed into sea in Greece
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Police comb the UK and put ports on alert for an escaped prison inmate awaiting terrorism trial
- Are we witnessing the death of movie stars?
- Tokyo’s threatened Jingu Gaien park placed on ‘Heritage Alert’ list by conservancy body
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Russian missile strike kills 17 at Ukraine market as Blinken visits to show support, offer more U.S. help
Joseph Fiordaliso, who championed clean energy as head of New Jersey utilities board, dies at 78
Judge says New York AG's $250M lawsuit against Trump will proceed without delay
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Former Finnish prime minister Sanna Marin, who was one of Europe’s youngest leaders, quits politics
Thousands rally in support of Israel’s judicial overhaul before a major court hearing next week
All 'The Conjuring' horror movies, ranked (including new sequel 'The Nun 2')