Current:Home > My12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say -WealthRoots Academy
12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 20:27:54
Police in Maryland have identified a 12-year-old student who they say was behind seven unfounded bomb threat reports earlier this month that prompted evacuations at the three targeted schools each time.
The anonymous threats were made against Montgomery County Public Schools, a district located about 30 miles southwest of Baltimore on the border with Washington, D.C. Between Oct. 13 and 24, the district received five emailed threats to the Montgomery Blair High School, as well as one each to Oak View Elementary School and Silver Spring International School, according to the Montgomery County police.
Montgomery police detectives worked with the school district's IT staff to identify a 12-year-old student as the suspected culprit behind the hoaxes. While detectives said the juvenile admitted responsibility, children under the age of 13 can only be charged with offenses that constitute a "crime of violence" in Maryland, police said.
"It is disheartening to accept that the individual responsible for disrupting the educational process and instilling fear in our community was well aware of the legal limitations surrounding their age," police said in a statement. "They understood that they could not be charged under current Maryland statutes."
Fatal California crash:Driver in Malibu crash that killed 4 Pepperdine students arrested on murder charges
Another bomb threat reported Wednesday at separate high school in district
Shortly after police announced in a press release that detectives had identified the suspect, the department said on X that another bomb threat was reported at Springbrook High School, which is part of the same school district.
It was the second bomb threat reported at the school on Wednesday, Christopher Cramm, a spokesman for the district, said in an email to USA TODAY.
An earlier bomb threat reported at Albert Einstein High School had already proven to be unfounded, Cramm said. He added that police were in the midst of sweeping through Springbrook Wednesday afternoon and had not yet determined the threat to be a hoax.
No other information was immediately available.
'It jeopardizes the safety of our community'
In the case of the previous incidents, police were forced to respond to the targeted school's campus each time to sweep the area and determine that no danger existed before students and staff were allowed back inside.
"In addition to the fear and chaos these threats caused, it is important to acknowledge the significant financial and operational burden each incident placed on our department," police said Wednesday in a statement. "This diversion of resources is unacceptable, and it jeopardizes the safety of our community."
'A tragic end:'Nashville police chief's son wanted in police officers shooting found dead
School district sends letter to families
Montgomery Blair High School Principal Renay Johnson informed the school community in a Wednesday letter that the individual behind the hoaxes had been identified. Johnson also said a safety meeting for the school's students, staff and family was scheduled for Monday evening.
"We can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that our campus will be free from these harmful and invalid threats from this individual," Johnson said in the letter, which was provided to USA TODAY. "As we move forward, I encourage you to continue being vigilant and proactive in maintaining a safe and secure environment. If you see something, say something."
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (9)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Underclassmen can compete in all-star games in 2024, per reports. What that means for NFL draft
- Puerto Rico declares flu epidemic as cases spike. 42 dead and more than 900 hospitalized since July
- Science Says Teens Need More Sleep. So Why Is It So Hard to Start School Later?
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- The Best Gifts For Runners On The Trail, Treadmill & Beyond
- Sammy Hagar is selling his LaFerrari to the highest bidder: 'Most amazing car I’ve ever owned'
- Video chat service Omegle shuts down following years of user abuse claims
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- The father of a dissident Belarusian novelist has been arrested in Minsk
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Chick-fil-A announces return of Peppermint Chip Milkshake and two new holiday coffees
- US applications for jobless benefits inch down, remain at historically healthy levels
- The man charged in last year’s attack against Nancy Pelosi’s husband goes to trial in San Francisco
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Kenya says it won’t deploy police to fight gangs in Haiti until they receive training and funding
- Man arrested after he pulls gun, fires 2 shots trying to prevent purse snatching on NYC subway
- Are banks, post offices closed on Veterans Day? What about the day before? What to know
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Stock market today: Asian shares mostly higher after China reports that prices fell in October
‘Greed and corruption': Federal jury convicts veteran DEA agents in bribery conspiracy
The average long-term US mortgage rate falls to 7.5% in second-straight weekly drop
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Sammy Hagar is selling his LaFerrari to the highest bidder: 'Most amazing car I’ve ever owned'
Video chat service Omegle shuts down following years of user abuse claims
After Ohio vote, advocates in a dozen states are trying to put abortion on 2024 ballots