Current:Home > NewsArizona man charged over online posts that allegedly incited Australian attack in which 6 died -WealthRoots Academy
Arizona man charged over online posts that allegedly incited Australian attack in which 6 died
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 22:58:09
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A U.S. citizen has been charged in Arizona over online comments that allegedly incited what police describe as a “religiously motivated terrorist attack” in Australia a year ago in which six people died, officials said Wednesday.
Queensland state police officers Rachel McCrow and Matthew Arnold and innocent bystander Alan Dare were fatally shot by Gareth Train, his brother Nathaniel Train and Nathanial’s wife Stacey Train in an ambush at the Trains’ remote property in the rural community of Wieambilla last Dec. 12, investigators say.
Four officers had arrived at the property to investigate reports of a missing person. They walked into a hail of gunfire, police said at the time. Two officers managed to escape and raise the alarm.
Police killed the three Trains, who have been described as conspiracy theorists, during a six-hour siege.
FBI agents arrested a 58-year-old man near Heber Overgaard, Arizona, last week on a U.S. charge that alleged he incited the violence through comments posted online last December, Queensland Police Assistant Commissioner Cheryl Scanlon said at a joint news conference in Brisbane with FBI legal attaché for Australia Nitiana Mann. Police did not release the suspect’s name.
He was remanded in custody when he appeared in an Arizona court on Tuesday. He faces a potential five-year prison sentence if convicted.
“We know that the offenders executed a religiously motivated terrorist attack in Queensland,” Scanlon said, referring to the Trains. “They were motivated by a Christian extremist ideology.”
The FBI is still investigating the alleged motive of the American. Queensland police had flown to Arizona to help investigators there.
“The attack involved advanced planning and preparation against law enforcement,” Scanlon said.
Gareth Train began following the suspect on YouTube in May 2020. A year later, they were communicating directly.
“The man repeatedly sent messages containing Christian end-of-days ideology to Gareth and then later to Stacey,” Scanlon said.
Mann said the FBI was committed to assisting the Queensland Police Service in its investigation.
“The FBI has a long memory and an even longer reach. From Queensland, Australia, to the remote corners of Arizona,” Mann said.
“The FBI and QPS worked jointly and endlessly to bring this man to justice, and he will face the crimes he is alleged to have perpetrated,” she added.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Bengals to use franchise tag on wide receiver Tee Higgins
- Kayakers paddle in Death Valley after rains replenish lake in one of Earth’s driest spots
- Biden administration restores Trump-rescinded policy on illegitimacy of Israeli settlements
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Two Navy SEALs drowned in the Arabian Sea. How the US charged foreign crew with smuggling weapons
- Blake Lively Reveals Rule She and Ryan Reynolds Made Early on in Their Relationship
- Malia Obama Isn't the Only One With a Stage Name—Check Out These Stars' Real Names
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- $454 million judgment against Trump is finalized, starting clock on appeal in civil fraud case
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- The EU is watching Albania’s deal to hold asylum seekers for Italy. Rights activists are worried
- Virginia lawmakers send Youngkin bills to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour
- Man charged with killing Indianapolis police officer found guilty but mentally ill
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Trying to eat more protein to help build strength? Share your diet tips and recipes
- Yankees' Alex Verdugo responds to scorching comments from ex-Red Sox star Jonathan Papelbon
- Beyoncé's use of Black writers, musicians can open the door for others in country music
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Score Exclusive Deals During Tory Burch's Private Sale, With Chic Finds Under $100
2 killed in Mississippi National Guard helicopter crash
Lulus’ Buy 3-Get-1 Free Sale Includes Elegant & Stylish Dresses, Starting at $15
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
University of Wyoming identifies 3 swim team members who died in car crash
Kelly Ripa's Nutritionist Doesn't Want You to Give Up the Foods You Love
Despite a Big Budget Shortfall, Moore Commits $90 Million to Help Maryland Cut Emissions.