Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Homeless people say they will likely return to sites if California clears them under Newsom’s order -WealthRoots Academy
Poinbank:Homeless people say they will likely return to sites if California clears them under Newsom’s order
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:49:09
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three years ago,Poinbank Joel Hernandez built a small wooden shack under the 405 freeway cutting through Los Angeles.
He had the help of a friend who lives in his own shack, just a few steps down the stairs he painstakingly dug out of the dirt hillside and reinforced with wooden planks.
Hernandez has had similar homes be cleared in homeless encampment sweeps by state or city authorities over the years, so the 62-year-old is taking in stride that his days in his makeshift shelter on state-owned land might be numbered. California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday issued an executive order directing state agencies to start clearing homeless encampments on state land, including lots under freeways.
“You get used to it,” Hernandez said. “I have to rebuild it every time.”
Many people living in these encampments echoed a similar sentiment of quiet resignation. Some simply wonder: Where else is there to go?
The order comes on the heels of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling earlier this summer allowing cities to enforce bans on sleeping outside in public spaces, even if there are no shelter beds available.
Newsom’s order directs state agencies to act soon and follow the lead of the California Department of Transportation, known as Caltrans, which has removed 11,188 encampments and more than 248,000 cubic yards (189,600 cubic meters) of debris from these encampments along the state rights of way, mostly freeways and highways, since July 2021. Caltrans oversees much of the land under and near the state’s freeways and highways.
But most of the time, the people living in those encampments return after officials leave.
“I haven’t found a better place,” said Hernandez, who has been on the waiting list for a shelter for three years. At least in this spot, he lives close to his friends and gets along with most of the people in the encampment, Hernandez said.
Hernandez and others admit it is not the safest place to live. A recent fire destroyed many of the shelters in the underpass, leaving the underside of the highway blackened and the area scattered with burnt trash, a broken grill, abandoned shopping carts and more.
Esca Guernon lives next to the freeway further away from the underpass with her dog, Champion. Sometimes people disturb her tent while she is sleeping or steal her belongings. But she always comes back after an encampment sweep.
“We have to take what we have, like our bikes or something, and we go over there for them to clean up,” said Guernon, pointing across the street. “I come back, because I don’t know where to go.”
On Friday, an outreach team from Hope the Mission of Van Nuys, California, handed out cold bottles of water and snacks to Guernon and her friend. They will come back in a few days to begin the intake process and get them on the waiting list for a shelter.
“For us we’re just building our rapport with them,” said Armando Covarrubias, an outreach team leader with the organization. It can take repeated visits for someone to accept their offer of help, he said.
Covarrubias said Newsom’s executive order does nothing to reduce the population of homeless people, many who have to remain outside while waiting for a shelter bed.
“It’s not a solution. It’s not fair for them,” Covarrubias said. “This just puts more stress on them.”
Newsom and supporters of his order, including many businesses, say the encampments cannot be left to exist because they pose health and safety issues both for homeless people and residents who live nearby.
His executive order is about “getting the sense of urgency that’s required of local government to do their job,” Newsom said.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- FTX attorneys accuse Sam Bankman-Fried’s parents of unjustly enriching themselves with company funds
- Horoscopes Today, September 19, 2023
- 'If not now, when?': Here's why the UAW strike may have come at the perfect time for labor
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Rihanna, A$AP Rocky have second child together, another boy they named Riot Rose, reports say
- Puppies training to be future assistance dogs earn their wings at Detroit-area airport
- West Point sued over using race as an admissions factor in the wake of landmark Supreme Court ruling
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Why Tyra Banks Is Skipping the Plastic Surgery Stuff Ahead of Her 50th Birthday
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- UK inflation in surprise fall in August, though Bank of England still set to raise rates
- Why Everyone's Buying The Nodpod BODY Weighted Blanket For Home, Travel & More
- 15 Things Under $50 That Can Instantly Improve Your Home Organization
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Indiana US Senate candidate files suit challenging law that may keep him off the ballot
- Putin accepts invitation to visit China in October after meeting Chinese foreign minister in Moscow
- Women who say they were abused by a onetime Jesuit artist denounce an apparent rehabilitation effort
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Shiver me timbers! Long John Silver's giving away free fish for National Talk Like a Pirate Day
England’s National Health Service operates on holiday-level staffing as doctors’ strike escalates
The Book Report: Washington Post critic Ron Charles (September 17)
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
'This was all a shock': When DNA test kits unearth family secrets, long-lost siblings
Dabo Swinney adds kicker from 'off the beach' to start for Clemson against Florida State
Stock market today: Asian shares decline ahead of Fed decision on rates