Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|Appeal arguments are set on an order limiting Biden administration communications with social media -WealthRoots Academy
Robert Brown|Appeal arguments are set on an order limiting Biden administration communications with social media
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:43:32
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Biden administration attorneys were set to ask appellate court judges in New Orleans on Robert BrownThursday to block a Louisiana-based federal judge’s broad order limiting executive branch officials and agencies’ communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty of Monroe issued the order last month in a lawsuit brought by Republican attorneys general in Louisiana and Missouri, who will be asking the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of appeals to uphold the order. Plaintiffs also include a conservative website owner and four individual critics of government COVID-19 policies.
Critics of the ruling say it could hamper attempts to squelch misinformation on topics such as public health and elections. Supporters of the order say it keeps the government from illegally censoring points of view.
The 5th Circuit granted a temporary pause on enforcement of the order on July 14, giving both sides time to file briefs and prepare for Thursday’s hearing. A panel of three judges was scheduled to hear arguments: Edith Brown Clement and Jennifer Walker Elrod, nominated to the court by former President George W. Bush; and Don Willett, nominated by former President Donald Trump.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter, and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win the lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Health and Human Services Department, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from “encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech.”
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty’s order posed a threat of “grave” public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation. And they said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration.
“The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content,” the administration said. “Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to ‘a series of public media statements.’”
In response, the attorneys general say in briefs that the order ended an “egregious campaign” by the administration that “fundamentally distorted online discourse in America on great social and political questions.”
The White House has said publicly it disagrees with the ruling but has said little about how and whether it has affected communication with social media companies so far.
veryGood! (65)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Readers' wishes for 2024: TLC for Earth, an end to AIDS, more empathy, less light
- 18 Finds That Are Aesthetic, Practical & Will Bring You Joy Every Day Of The Year
- Kanye West debuts metal teeth: 'Experimental dentistry' didn't involve removing his real teeth
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Deposition video shows Trump claiming he prevented nuclear holocaust as president
- Murder charge is dropped against a 15-year-old for a high school football game shooting
- Readers' wishes for 2024: TLC for Earth, an end to AIDS, more empathy, less light
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Macy's layoffs 2024: Department store to lay off more than 2,000 employees, close 5 stores
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Buffalo is perfect site for Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes to play his first road playoff game
- Mexican family's death at border looms over ongoing Justice Department standoff with Texas
- California governor sacks effort to limit tackle football for kids
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- The Challenge's Ashley Cain Welcomes Baby 2 Years After Daughter's Death
- Loewe explores social media and masculinity in Paris fashion show
- 49ers TE George Kittle makes 'wrestling seem cool,' WWE star Bayley says
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Why Jillian Michaels Is Predicting a Massive Fallout From Ozempic Craze
'Manic cleaning' videos are all over TikTok, but there's a big problem with the trend
Do you know these famous Aquarius signs? 30 A-listers (and their birthdays)
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
More searching planned at a Florida Air Force base where 121 potential Black grave sites were found
Josh Hader agrees to five-year, $95 million deal with Astros, giving Houston an ace closer
Amid tough reelection fight, San Francisco mayor declines to veto resolution she criticized on Gaza