Current:Home > reviewsAround 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support -WealthRoots Academy
Around 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:18:00
LONDON (AP) — Around 3,000 workers at Britain’s biggest steelworks face the prospect of losing their jobs as part of a government-backed package Friday to make the plant “greener.”
In an announcement, the British government confirmed widespread speculation that it is to pump up to 500 million pounds ($620 million) into the Port Talbot steelworks in south Wales.
Tata, the Indian conglomerate that owns the steelworks, will use the funding to help switch the plant’s two coal-fired blast furnaces to electric arc versions that can run on zero-carbon electricity.
“This proposal is a landmark moment for maintaining ongoing U.K. steel production, supporting sustainable economic growth, cutting emissions and creating green jobs,” said Treasury chief Jeremy Hunt.
Tata, which employs around 8,000 people across the U.K., will also invest around 750 million pounds into the project, but cautioned that the plans will lead to consultations over a “deep potential restructuring” — code for job losses.
In a separate statement Friday, Britain’s Department for Business and Trade said the deal will only safeguard around 5,000 jobs out of Tata’s total workforce.
Tata said the deal lays out a future for sustainable steel-making in the area and committed to undertake a “meaningful” consultation with unions.
“With the support of the U.K. government and dedicated efforts of the employees of Tata Steel U.K. along with all stakeholders, we will work to transform Tata Steel UK into a green, modern, future-ready business,” said Tata Steel’s chief executive and managing director, TV Narendran.
The deal comes two months after Tata confirmed plans to build a 4 billion-pound battery factory in the U.K. after also getting subsidies from the government.
Unions were furious about the potential job losses.
“The cost to local people and the wider Port Talbot community will be immense,” said Gary Smith, general secretary of the GMB trade union. “Once again, we have the spectacle of leaders talking up the fantasy land of a ‘just transition’ while the bitter reality for workers is them getting the sack.”
The 1.25 billion-pound furnaces are expected to be up and running within three years of getting regulatory and planning approvals.
Tata warned last year that its U.K. operations were under threat unless it secured government funding to help it move to less carbon-intensive electric arc furnaces.
Luke Murphy, head of the fair transition unit at the Institute for Public Policy Research think tank, said the government had “ignored or abandoned” the interests of unions and workers.
“The use of coal in steelmaking must come to an end but this looks like a bad deal for workers, the wider community in Port Talbot, and for Britain,” he said.
He noted that Germany has invested over $53 billion in decarbonising heavy industry and has committed to work with unions and protect jobs.
“The U.K. has nothing like the scale of this commitment and has done nothing to make conditions more favourable for investment,” he added.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Arkansas teacher, students reproduce endangered snake species in class
- The WNBA's coming out story; plus, the dangers of sports betting
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro denies proposing coup to military leaders
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Iowa man disappears on the day a jury finds him guilty of killing his wife
- Hurricane forecasters expect tropical cyclone to hit swath of East Coast with wind, rain
- How The Young and the Restless Honored Late Actor Billy Miller Days After His Death
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Biden campaign to air new ad in battleground states that argues GOP policies will hurt Latino voters
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and reading
- Joe Jonas Returns to the Stage After Sophie Turner’s Lawsuit Filing
- Hollis Watkins, who was jailed multiple times for challenging segregation in Mississippi, dies at 82
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Which UAW plants are on strike? The 38 GM, Stellantis locations walking out Friday
- Bachelor Nation’s Danielle Maltby Says Michael Allio Breakup Was “Not a Mutual Decision”
- Apple issues iOS 17 emergency iPhone update: What you should do right now
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
'DWTS' contestant Matt Walsh walks out; ABC premiere may be delayed amid Hollywood strikes
A Louisiana fugitive was captured in Mexico after 32 years on the run — and laughs as he's handcuffed
Ex-FBI agent pleads guilty to concealing $225K loan from former Albanian official
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Biden aims to remove medical bills from credit scores, making loans easier for millions
Fingers 'missing the flesh': Indiana baby suffers over 50 rat bites to face in squalid home
'Cassandro' honors the gay wrestler who revolutionized lucha libre