Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|South Africa urges UN’s top court to order cease-fire in Gaza to shield citizens in Rafah -WealthRoots Academy
Chainkeen|South Africa urges UN’s top court to order cease-fire in Gaza to shield citizens in Rafah
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:25:18
THE HAGUE,Chainkeen Netherlands (AP) — South Africa urged the United Nations’ top court on Thursday to order a cease-fire in Gaza during hearings over emergency measures to halt Israel’s military operation in the enclave’s southern city of Rafah.
It was the third time the International Court of Justice held hearings on the conflict in Gaza since South Africa filed proceedings in December at the court, based in The Hague in the Netherlands, accusing Israel of genocide.
The country’s ambassador to the Netherlands, Vusimuzi Madonsela, urged the panel of 15 international judges to order Israel to “totally and unconditionally withdraw” from the Gaza Strip.
The court has already found that there is a “real and imminent risk” to the Palestinian people in Gaza by Israel’s military operations. “This may well be the last chance for the court to act,” said Irish lawyer Blinne Ní Ghrálaigh, who is part of South Africa’s legal team.
Judges at the court have broad powers to order a cease-fire and other measures, although the court does not have its own enforcement apparatus. A 2022 order by the court demanding that Russia halt its full-scale invasion of Ukraine has so far gone unheeded.
During hearings earlier this year, Israel strongly denied committing genocide in Gaza, saying it does all it can to spare civilians and is only targeting Hamas militants. The country says Rafah is the last stronghold of the militant group.
The latest request focuses on the incursion into Rafah.
South Africa argues that the military operation has far surpassed justified self-defense. “Israel’s actions in Rafah are part of the end game. This is the last step in the destruction of Gaza,” lawyer Vaughan Lowe said.
According to the latest request, the previous preliminary orders by The Hague-based court were not sufficient to address “a brutal military attack on the sole remaining refuge for the people of Gaza.” Israel will be allowed to answer the accusations on Friday.
In January, judges ordered Israel to do all it can to prevent death, destruction and any acts of genocide in Gaza, but the panel stopped short of ordering an end to the military offensive that has laid waste to the Palestinian enclave. In a second order in March, the court said Israel must take measures to improve the humanitarian situation.
South Africa has to date submitted four requests for the international court to investigate Israel. It was granted a hearing three times.
Most of Gaza’s population of 2.3 million people have been displaced since fighting began.
The war began with a Hamas attack on southern Israel on Oct. 7 in which Palestinian militants killed around 1,200 people and took about 250 hostages. Gaza’s Health Ministry says over 35,000 Palestinians have been killed in the war, without distinguishing between civilians and combatants in its count.
South Africa initiated proceedings in December 2023 and sees the legal campaign as rooted in issues central to its identity. Its governing party, the African National Congress, has long compared Israel’s policies in Gaza and the occupied West Bank to its own history under the apartheid regime of white minority rule, which restricted most Blacks to “homelands.” Apartheid ended in 1994.
On Sunday, Egypt announced it plans to join the case. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Israeli military actions “constitute a flagrant violation of international law, humanitarian law, and the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 regarding the protection of civilians during wartime.”
Several countries have also indicated they plan to intervene, but so far only Libya, Nicaragua and Colombia have filed formal requests to do so.
___
Find more AP coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war
veryGood! (472)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Fans gather to say goodbye to Flaco the owl in New York City memorial
- Body of missing Florida teen Madeline Soto found, sheriff says
- Mall fire in Bangladesh capital kills at least 43, including women and children, health minister says
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Alaska’s Iditarod dogs get neon visibility harnesses after 5 were fatally hit while training
- USWNT rebounds from humbling loss, defeats Colombia in Concacaf W Gold Cup quarterfinal
- Mi abuela es un meme y es un poco por mi culpa
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Item believed to be large balloon discovered by fishermen off Alaskan coast
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- The Trump trials: A former president faces justice
- 2024 NFL scouting combine Sunday: How to watch offensive linemen workouts
- Vice President Kamala Harris to join in marking anniversary of Bloody Sunday on Alabama bridge
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- 16 Products That Will Help You Easily Tackle Your Mile-Long List of Chores While Making Them Fun
- More mountain snow expected even as powerful blizzard moves out of Northern California
- This classical ensemble is tuned in to today's headlines
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
This classical ensemble is tuned in to today's headlines
Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Baby Boy Rocky Follows in Dad's Footsteps in Rare Photo
Karol G says she's doing 'very well' after her plane reportedly made an emergency landing
Sam Taylor
NPR puzzlemaster Will Shortz says he is recovering from a stroke
What to know about viewing and recording the solar eclipse with your cellphone camera
Diamondbacks veteran was 'blindsided' getting cut before Arizona's World Series run