Current:Home > 新闻中心9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief -WealthRoots Academy
9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:28:19
FORT MEADE, Md. (AP) — Military-run hearings for accused Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two co-defendants at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, were in upheaval Wednesday following Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s decision to throw out a plea agreement.
Defense attorneys contend the plea deal still stands and suspended participation in the pre-trial hearings while legal challenges to Austin’s action play out. Prosecutors also raised the prospect that the pre-trial hearings might have to be frozen as lawyers look for explanations in Austin’s order and work through the issues raised by it.
The judge overseeing the case, Air Force Col. Matthew McCall, acknowledged concerns over outside pressure on the case. The plea agreement, which would have spared the defendants the risk of the death penalty, and Austin’s subsequent order, issued late Friday, have generated strong feelings, including among the families of Sept. 11 victims. The Biden administration came under heavy Republican criticism over the plea deal.
“If more political pressure is put on the parties to make a decision one way or the other,” that could build the case for illegal interference in the case, “but … it’s not going to affect me,” McCall said during Wednesday’s hearing. Reporters were able to monitor the proceedings from Fort Meade, Maryland.
The events of the past week are the latest significant disruption of the U.S. military prosecution of defendants accused in the 2001 killings of nearly 3,000 people, in an al-Qaida plot that saw hijackers commandeer four passenger airliners and fly them into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, with the fourth coming down in a field in Pennsylvania.
Set up as former President George W. Bush and his Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld pursued what they called the U.S. war on terror, the military commission trying the 9/11 defendants has struggled with some of the unusual restrictions and legal challenges of the case.
That includes the torture of the defendants while in CIA custody in their first years after being captured, leaving the commission still hammering out legal questions over the effect of the torture on evidence.
The new developments began unfolding last week after the Pentagon-approved chief authority over the Guantanamo Bay military commission, Susan Escallier, approved the plea agreement between the military-appointed prosecutors and defense attorneys, which had been two years in the making.
Austin said in Friday’s order that he was overriding Escallier’s approval and taking direct control of such decisions in the 9/11 case going forward. He cited the significance of the case.
Defense lawyers and some legal analysts are challenging whether the laws governing the Guantanamo proceedings allow for that overruling.
Some of the attorneys and rights groups charge that the Republican criticism of the plea deal, and criticism from some of the families of the victims, appear to have influenced Austin’s action. Austin told reporters on Tuesday that the gravity of the American losses in the al-Qaida attack and in the years of U.S. military intervention that followed convinced him that the cases had to go to trial.
Defense attorneys told McCall on Wednesday they considered the plea bargain still in effect. McCall agreed to excuse them from participating in the pre-trial hearings while expected challenges to Austin’s actions play out.
Gary Sowards, the lead attorney for Mohammed, the accused mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, warned the court on Wednesday that that process alone was likely to take up to two year, adding to the length of a troubled case already well into its second decade.
“To intervene in this most unusual way ensures total chaos from this point forward,” Sowards told McCall, referring to Austin’s action.
Walter Ruiz, an attorney for 9/11 defendant Mustafa al Hawsawi, called Austin’s order “an unprecedented act by a government official to pull back a valid agreement” and said it raises issues involving “unlawful interference at the highest levels of government.”
Ruiz said the defense chief’s move also raised questions “whether we can ethically continue to engage” in the Pentagon-run commission in the face of an action “that goes right at the heart of the integrity of the system itself.”
Under the plea agreement, Mohammed, Hawsawi, and fellow defendant Walid bin Attash would have entered guilty pleas in exchange for the government not seeking the death penalty against them. Defense attorneys stressed Wednesday the agreement would have committed the accused to answer any lingering questions about the attack from family members of victims and others.
After Wednesday’s tumultuous start, the hearing proceeded with the questioning of an FBI witness, with the active defense participation of only one defendant who had not taken the plea agreement, Aamar al Baluchi.
-
veryGood! (99418)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Why the US celebrates Veterans Day and how the holiday has changed over time
- Mega Millions winning numbers for November 8 drawing: Jackpot rises to $361 million
- Man killed in Tuskegee University shooting in Alabama is identified. 16 others were hurt
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- NASCAR Cup Series Championship race 2024: Start time, TV, live stream, odds, lineup
- Utah AD Mark Harlan fined $40,000 for ripping referees and the Big 12 after loss to BYU
- Wicked Director Jon M. Chu Reveals Name of Baby Daughter After Missing Film's LA Premiere for Her Birth
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 2 Florida women charged after shooting death of photographer is livestreamed
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Prayers and cheeseburgers? Chiefs have unlikely fuel for inexplicable run
- Republican David Schweikert wins reelection in affluent Arizona congressional district
- Wisconsin’s high court to hear oral arguments on whether an 1849 abortion ban remains valid
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- NASCAR Championship race live updates, how to watch: Cup title on the line at Phoenix
- Steelers shoot for the moon ball, but will offense hold up or wilt in brutal final stretch?
- Arizona Supreme Court declines emergency request to extend ballot ‘curing’ deadline
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Deion Sanders addresses trash thrown at team during Colorado's big win at Texas Tech
NFL playoff picture Week 10: Lions stay out in front of loaded NFC field
Here's Your First Look at The White Lotus Season 3 With Blackpink’s Lisa and More Stars
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Will Trump curb transgender rights? After election, community prepares for worst
Brush fire erupts in Brooklyn's iconic Prospect Park amid prolonged drought
US Open finalist Taylor Fritz talks League of Legends, why he hated tennis and how he copied Sampras