Current:Home > MyChainkeen|3 men charged in Whitey Bulger’s 2018 prison killing have plea deals, prosecutors say -WealthRoots Academy
Chainkeen|3 men charged in Whitey Bulger’s 2018 prison killing have plea deals, prosecutors say
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 20:09:21
Three men charged in the 2018 prison killing of notorious Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger have Chainkeenreached plea deals with prosecutors, according to court papers filed Monday.
The plea deals were disclosed nearly six years after the 89-year-old gangster, who spent almost two decades on the lam, was beaten to death in his cell at a troubled West Virginia prison.
Fotios “Freddy” Geas and Paul J. DeCologero were accused of repeatedly striking Bulger in the head while Sean McKinnon served as a lookout. An inmate witness told authorities that DeCologero said he and Geas used a belt with a lock attached to it to beat Bulger to death.
Prosecutors asked the court to schedule hearings for the men to change their not-guilty pleas and to be sentenced, though they didn’t provide further details about the plea agreements, which have not been filed in court.
Belinda Haynie, an attorney for Geas, declined to comment about the change of plea filing. Attorneys for the other two defendants didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
Prosecutors said last year that they would not seek the death sentence for Geas and DeCologero, who were charged with murder. All three men were charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, which carries up to a life sentence. McKinnon was also charged with making false statements to a federal agent.
Bulger, who ran the largely Irish mob in Boston in the 1970s and ’80s, served as an FBI informant who ratted on the main rival to his gang. He became one of the nation’s most-wanted fugitives after fleeing Boston in 1994 thanks to a tip from his FBI handler that he was about to be indicted. He was captured at the age of 81 after more than 16 years on the run.
In 2013, he was convicted in a string of 11 killings and dozens of other gangland crimes, many of them committed while he was said to be an FBI informant.
Bulger was killed just hours after he was transferred from a Florida lockup to USP Hazelton in West Virginia and placed in the general population. Bulger’s transfer to Hazelton, where workers had already been sounding the alarm about violence and understaffing, and his placement in the general population instead of more protective housing were widely criticized by experts after his killing.
A Justice Department inspector general investigation found that his killing was the result of multiple layers of management failures, widespread incompetence and flawed policies at the Bureau of Prisons. The inspector general found no evidence of “malicious intent” by any bureau employees, but said a series of bureaucratic blunders left Bulger at the mercy of rival gangsters behind bars
Bulger never admitted to working for the FBI. Court papers made public in a lawsuit brought by his family showed that he was interviewed by staff after arriving at Hazelton about whether there were reasons he should be kept out of the general population. An intake screening form signed by Bulger said he answered “no” to the question “have you assisted law enforcement agents in any way?”
veryGood! (1164)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Valerie Bertinelli slams Food Network: 'It's not about cooking or learning any longer'
- This Former Bachelor Was Just Revealed on The Masked Singer
- Exclusive: How Barbara Walters broke the rules and changed the world for women and TV
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Kansas City Chiefs’ Rashee Rice facing aggravated assault charge after high-speed crash in Dallas
- Here's what's different about Toyota's first new 4Runner SUV in 15 years
- Frozen Four times, TV for NCAA men's hockey tournament, Hobey Baker Award
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Raphinha scores twice as Barcelona beats PSG 3-2 in 1st leg of Champions League quarterfinals
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Inflation has caused summer camp costs to soar. Here are tips for parents on how to save
- Agency probes Philadelphia fatal crash involving Ford that may have been running on automated system
- Oakland’s airport considers adding ‘San Francisco’ to its name. San Francisco isn’t happy about it
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Trump says Arizona's 160-year-old abortion law goes too far
- Lucy Hale Reveals Where She Stands With Pretty Little Liars Cast Today
- 'The View' crew evacuates after kitchen grease fire breaks out on 'Tamron Hall' set
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Aerosmith announces rescheduled Peace Out farewell tour: New concert dates and ticket info
Convicted child abuser Jodi Hildebrandt's $5 million Utah home was most-viewed listing on Realtor.com last week
'Barbie' star Margot Robbie to produce 'Monopoly' movie; new 'Blair Witch' in the works
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
As a Contested Pittsburgh Primary Nears, Climate Advocates Rally Around a Progressive Fracking Opponent, Rep. Summer Lee
Man pleads not guilty to terrorism charge in alleged church attack plan in support of Islamic State
Instagram begins blurring nudity in messages to protect teens and fight sexual extortion