Current:Home > News'I killed our baby': Arizona dad distracted by video games leaves daughter in hot car: Docs -WealthRoots Academy
'I killed our baby': Arizona dad distracted by video games leaves daughter in hot car: Docs
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 17:20:30
An Arizona man facing a murder charge in the hot car death of his 2-year-old daughter was "distracted by playing video games" and "regularly" left all three of his children alone in a car, according to court documents obtained by USA TODAY on Tuesday.
Christopher Scholtes, 37, was putting groceries away and playing video games after leaving the toddler in the car for hours amid triple-digit temperatures last week at the family's home in Marana, a town about 100 miles south of Phoenix, court documents show. He's now facing second-degree murder and child abuse charges.
Scholtes told police that his daughter was fast asleep in the car by the time he got home from running errands, telling police that he "did not want to wake her up," court documents show. Scholtes left the car running with air conditioning and "wanted her to remain in the vehicle while she slept," he told police, according to the documents.
The A/C automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, something Scholtes knew, the documents say.
Scholtes didn't realize he had forgotten about leaving his daughter in the hot car until after his wife Erika returned home from work a couple hours later, asking where the toddler was. The couple found the 2-year-old unresponsive and "still strapped in her child restraint system."
They began to perform "life-saving measures" on the girl but were ultimately unable to wake her. She was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Here's what to know.
Child left in vehicle for multiple hours
Scholtes arrived back at home around 12:53 p.m., a minute after his two other children, ages 5 and 9, arrived at the home. He is seen in video surveillance footage walking from the vehicle to the house by himself, according to court documents.
"Video surveillance obtained does not show Christopher checking on his vehicle or daughter" before Erika got home from work a little after 4 p.m., court records say.
"When she asked where the 2-year-old was, he began to check the rooms of the home and then realized he had left her in the vehicle," according to court documents. A 911 call was placed minutes later.
"The reported temperature was 109 degrees at the time of the call ... Christopher knew that he had left his 2-year-old daughter in the vehicle," court documents state.
No attorney was listed for Scholtes in court records and his number is unlisted. USA TODAY left a message at a number listed for his wife.
Hot car deaths:Child hot car deaths could happen in any family: Tips to prevent summer tragedy
Man admits to wrongdoing over text, faces charges
While the 2-year-old was being transported to the hospital, Scholtes received multiple text messages from Erika, saying that she had reminded him multiple times to "stop leaving them in the car."
Scholtes apologized, writing: "Babe I'm sorry! ... Babe our family. How could I do this. I killed our baby, this can't be real."
Multiple electronics, including a PlayStation, were seized by authorities as part of the ongoing investigation, according to reporting by an ABC affiliate. Scholtes' 2023 Acura MDX was also taken by Marana Police Department detectives, the outlet reported.
A preliminary hearing has been set for Thursday, Aug. 1, which is when official charges will be announced, according to Pima County Attorney's Office spokeswoman Shawndrea Thomas.
veryGood! (7586)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Behind the Scenes: How a Plastics Plant Has Plagued a Pennsylvania County
- CIA Director William Burns in Egypt for high-stakes Israeli hostage, cease-fire talks
- Small anti-war protest ruffles University of Michigan graduation ceremony
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Hundreds rescued from floodwaters around Houston as millions in Texas, Oklahoma, remain under threat
- You’ll Be Down Bad For Taylor Swift’s Met Gala Looks Through The Years
- Shooting suspect dies following police standoff that closed I-80 in Bay Area Friday
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- I-95 in Connecticut reopens after flaming crash left it closed for days
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Actor Bernard Hill, of ‘Titanic’ and ‘Lord of the Rings,’ has died at 79
- Padres manager Mike Shildt tees off on teams throwing high and inside on Fernando Tatis Jr.
- 'Star Wars' Day is sign of franchise's mass appeal. It owes a lot to Frank Herbert's 'Dune'
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Texas police officer dies after being injured when a tornado struck his home
- Dick Rutan, who set an aviation milestone when he flew nonstop around the world, is dead at 85
- Where Nia Sioux Stands With Her Dance Moms Costars After Skipping Reunion
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
TikToker Jesse Sullivan Shares Own Unique Name Ideas for His and Francesca Farago's Twins
It's tick season: What types live in your area and how to keep them under control
Where Nia Sioux Stands With Her Dance Moms Costars After Skipping Reunion
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Senate races are roiled by campus protests over the war in Gaza as campaign rhetoric sharpens
29 iconic Met Gala looks from the best-dressed guests since 1973
After Roe, the network of people who help others get abortions see themselves as ‘the underground’