Current:Home > InvestGroups urge Alabama to reverse course, join summer meal program for low-income kids -WealthRoots Academy
Groups urge Alabama to reverse course, join summer meal program for low-income kids
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 21:05:51
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama was one of 14 states that declined to participate in a federal program that gives summer food assistance to low-income families with school age children, prompting advocates on Wednesday to urge lawmakes to reverse course and join the program.
At a public hearing on the proposed education budget, several organizations urged legislators to set aside funding for Alabama to participate in 2025.
“Every child deserves the chance to grow learn and dream without the burden of hunger weighing them down,” Rhonda Mann, executive director of VOICES for Alabama’s Children told the Finance and Taxation-Education Committee.
The program called Summer EBT, or Summer Electronic Benefit Transfer Program, provides families $40 per month for each child receiving free and reduced-price school lunches. That would be about $120 to spend on groceries over the summer break. The program is intended to augment existing summer meal sites to help combat food insecurity in the summer months.
Alabama participated in the pandemic version of the program. Congress in 2022 made the program permanent effective this summer, but Alabama has declined to take part in the permanent program. States split the administrative costs of running the program but the benefits are federally funded.
A spokeswoman for Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey on Wednesday cited cost concerns when asked if Alabama plans to participate.
“Alabama fully participated in the program during the pandemic years, the time for which the program was created and intended. Now, in 2024, the pandemic is behind us, and federal changes have significantly increased the state’s cost to administer it,” Gina Maiola, a spokeswoman for Ivey wrote in an email.
The governor’s office did not provide an estimate of administrative costs.
Alabama Arise, an advocacy group for low-income families, estimated that it would take $10 million to $15 million in administrative and start-up costs for Alabama to participate in 2025, but that amount would decrease in future years. LaTrell Clifford Wood, a hunger policy advocate with Alabama Arise, urged lawmakers to set aside the funds in the $9.3 billion Education Trust Fund budget.
“Summer EBT is an opportunity that our state simply can’t afford to pass up. We urge lawmakers to make this investment in a healthier future for Alabama’s children,” Clifford Wood said.
The Alabama House of Representatives last week tabled an amendment that would have set aside money for the program. State Rep. Danny Garrett, the chairman of the House budget-writing committee, told representatives that he wants to learn more about what is required of the state before appropriating funds.
One state senator said he will fight to secure funding when the appropriations bill comes up for a vote.
“We are going to feed these children or they are going to drag me from that microphone,” Sen. Rodger Smitherman, D-Birmingham, said.
veryGood! (7814)
Related
- Average rate on 30
- RFK Jr. sues North Carolina elections board as he seeks to remove his name from ballot
- Nick Saban cracks up College GameDay crew with profanity: 'Broke the internet'
- District attorney’s progressive policies face blowback from Louisiana’s conservative Legislature
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Caitlin Clark returns to action: How to watch Fever vs. Wings on Sunday
- Venice Film Festival welcomes Pitt and Clooney, and their new film ‘Wolfs’
- Disney-DirecTV dispute: ESPN and other channels go dark on pay TV system
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- After an Atlantic hurricane season pause, are the tropics starting to stir?
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- College football Week 1 grades: Minnesota fails after fireworks fiasco
- Defending champion Coco Gauff loses in the U.S. Open’s fourth round to Emma Navarro
- ‘We all failed you.’ Heartbreak at funeral for Israeli-American hostage in Jerusalem
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Sephora Flash Sale: Get 50% Off Shay Mitchell’s Sunscreen, Kyle Richards’ Hair Treatment & More
- Youth football safety debate is rekindled by the same-day deaths of 2 young players
- District attorney’s progressive policies face blowback from Louisiana’s conservative Legislature
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Swimmer who calls himself The Shark will try again to cross Lake Michigan
How long does it take for the pill to work? A doctor breaks down your birth control FAQs.
Mets pitcher Sean Manaea finally set for free agent payday
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Summer camp lets kids be kids as vilifying immigration debate roils at home
Pregnant Cardi B and Offset Reunite to Celebrate Son Wave's 3rd Birthday Amid Divorce
Murder on Music Row: Corrupt independent record chart might hold key to Nashville homicide