Current:Home > MarketsCalifornia student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting -WealthRoots Academy
California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 23:01:26
VICTORVILLE, Calif. — An 18-year-old high school student has been arrested and charged after investigators discovered he was planning a school shooting in Southern California and researched police response times.
Sebastian Villasenor, of Eastvale, California, was charged Wednesday with multiple felony counts related to a planned attack on Ontario Christian High School in Ontario, California, a city about 46 miles east of Los Angeles, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office. The charges include five counts of attempted murder and one count of attempting to make criminal threats.
Villasenor was arrested on Feb. 10 after a classmate reported that the teen "had been showing signs of being fixated on school shootings and had access to weapons," Ontario Police Chief Michael Lorenz said at a news conference Wednesday.
"Thanks to the swift and thorough response of the Ontario Police Department, and the bravery of the student who voiced concerns, tragedy was avoided and potentially lives were saved," the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office said in a news release.
Police chief: Student 'obsessed with our response times'
Investigators found that Villasenor, who has no prior criminal record, "had every intention of carrying out a school shooting at the Ontario Christian High School," according to Lorenz.
Lorenz added that the teen was "obsessed" with school shootings and police response times. He also researched tactical supplies and was in the process of choosing a date for his attack.
"He was so obsessed with our response times that he Google mapped how far it would be from the Ontario Police Department for our response time to the school," Lorenz said.
Investigators believe Villasenor may have been planning a shooting around April 20, which is the anniversary of the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in Colorado that left 15 people dead, including the two shooters.
Guns in America:In US, celebrations can quickly become tragedies when violence erupts
Investigators discovered arsenal of weapons in teen's home
While searching Villasenor’s home, Lorenz said authorities collected "numerous weapons," including seven rifles, two revolvers, a handgun, and a shotgun along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
Although Villasenor didn’t have a "hit list," Lorenz said further investigation led police to believe that he was focusing on five students as intended victims and “contemplated” a sixth victim, based on interviews regarding his social interactions with the students.
All the victims were students at Ontario Christian High School, according to Lorenz.
Investigators determined that Villasenor wasn’t “bullied or harassed” but had difficulties “forming relationships with other students and in his social interactions.” Villasenor is in custody at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.
He is ineligible for bail, sheriff’s records show. He was arraigned Thursday and pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to the district attorney’s office.
Contributing: The Associated Press
Follow Rene Ray De La Cruz on X @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
veryGood! (26)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- More than 300 arrested in US House protest calling for Israel-Hamas ceasefire
- Electric truck maker Rivian says construction on first phase of Georgia factory will proceed in 2024
- Raiders QB Jimmy Garoppolo ruled out against Bears due to back injury, per reports
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Cheetos pretzels? A look at the cheese snack's venture into new taste category
- Intel bulletin says terror groups are calling on supporters to target U.S., Israeli interests amid Israel-Hamas conflict
- Tropical Storm Tammy is forecast to bring heavy rain to the Caribbean this weekend
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Florida GameStop employee charged after fatally shooting suspected shoplifter, police say
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Perfect no more, Rangers suddenly face ALCS test: 'Nobody said it was gonna be easy'
- Slovakia’s president rejects appointment of climate change skeptic as environment minister
- Defendant in Tupac Shakur killing case is represented by well-known Las Vegas lawyer
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- The Best Barbie Halloween Costume Ideas: Everything You Need to Look Plastic and Fantastic
- Lacrosse at the Olympics gives Native Americans a chance to see their sport shine
- Baltimore firefighter dies and 4 others are injured battling rowhouse fire
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
IAEA team gathers marine samples near Fukushima as treated radioactive water is released into sea
Jeezy Breaks Silence on Jeannie Mai Divorce
Israel-Hamas war fuels anger and protests across the Middle East amid fears of a wider conflict
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
The Orionids meteor shower 2023: Tips on how and where to watch this year at peak times
The government secures a $9 million settlement with Ameris Bank over alleged redlining in Florida
Pulse nightclub to be purchased by city of Orlando with plans of mass shooting memorial