Current:Home > InvestSaudi Arabia becomes sole bidder for 2034 World Cup after Australia drops out -WealthRoots Academy
Saudi Arabia becomes sole bidder for 2034 World Cup after Australia drops out
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 02:01:48
Football Australia has announced it will not be hosting the 2034 World Cup, hours before FIFA's deadline for bids passed — paving the way for Saudi Arabia to do so.
"We have explored the opportunity to bid to host the FIFA World Cup and – having taken all factors into consideration – we have reached the conclusion not to do so for the 2034 competition," a statement from the country's sports governing body read.
Instead, Football Australia will focus on hosting the AFC Women's Asian Cup 2026 as well as the 2029 FIFA Club World Cup.
"For international tournament hosting, the Australian time zones provide significant opportunities for broadcasters, and we are within touching distance of billions of people in Asia and Oceania, which also helps to provide a strong commercial outlook for competitions," Football Australia said.
FIFA had previously announced that the tournament would take place in either Asia or Oceania and Tuesday was the last day for countries to submit a bid. Australia's decision to pull out leaves Saudi Arabia as the only declared candidate.
The Gulf country has made its interest in hosting the 2034 tournament well-known, getting support from members of the Asian Football Confederation, including Indonesia, Uzbekistan, Lebanon, India and Japan, reported The Associated Press earlier this month.
"Japan has a plan to host the FIFA World Cup by 2050 but now it's time for Asia to get united and make a single bid [for 2034]," Japanese federation official Tsuneyasu Miyamoto said, praising Saudi Arabia for a "long football history, massive passion and a wonderful vision for 2034."
Despite such strong support, Saudi Arabia will likely be viewed as a controversial host, with human rights organizations preemptively decrying the move.
Human Rights Watch published a post on its website last week, decrying the possible — now likely — 2034 host.
"The possibility that FIFA could award Saudi Arabia the 2034 World Cup despite its appalling human rights record and closed door to any monitoring exposes Fifa's commitments to human rights as a sham," said Minky Worden, director of global initiatives.
On Tuesday, Amnesty International pushed for "human rights commitments" with any potential hosts before a final decision is made.
"FIFA must now make clear how it expects hosts to comply with its human rights policies," Steve Cockburn, the charity's head of economic and social justice, said. "It must also be prepared to halt the bidding process if serious human rights risks are not credibly addressed.
"The best chance for FIFA to obtain binding guarantees to protect workers' rights, ensure freedom of expression and prevent discrimination linked to the World Cup is during the host selection process — not after the hosts have been confirmed and tournament preparation has begun."
The country draws frequent criticism for its prolific use of the death penalty, executing 147 people last year, according to an AFP tally. Eighty-one people were put to death on a single day for offenses related to "terrorism," sparking an international outcry.
The 2018 killing of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the Saudi government, hurt the country's reputation.
Michael RoppoloMichael Roppolo is a CBS News reporter. He covers a wide variety of topics, including science and technology, crime and justice, and disability rights.
TwitterveryGood! (723)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- The Roman Empire is all over TikTok: Are the ways men and women think really that different?
- Chicago’s top officer says a White Sox game where 2 were shot should have been stopped or delayed
- Remembering Olympic gold medalist Florence 'Flo-Jo' Griffith Joyner
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Amal Clooney Wears Her Most Showstopping Look Yet With Discoball Dress
- The U.N. plan to improve the world by 2030 is failing. Does that make it a failure?
- 'Love Is Blind' Season 5: Cast, premiere date, trailer, how to watch new episodes
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Illinois mass murder suspect, person of interest found dead after Oklahoma police chase
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Good American's Rare Friends & Family Sale Is Here: Don't Miss Up to 80% Off on All Things Denim and More
- Lionel Messi leaves with fatigue, Inter Miami routs Toronto FC to keep playoff hopes alive
- Turkey’s central bank hikes interest rates again in further shift in economic policies
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Indonesia imprisons a woman for saying a Muslim prayer before eating pork in a TikTok video
- Senate confirms new army chief as one senator’s objection holds up other military nominations
- 'The Continental from the World of John Wick' review: 1970s prequel is a killer misfire
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Three fake electors and Trump co-defendants ask judge to move their cases to federal court
Hot dog! The Wienermobile is back after short-lived name change
2 Black TikTok workers claim discrimination: Both were fired after complaining to HR
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
9 deputies charged in jail death: Inmate in mental health crisis 'brutalized,' lawyer says
FEMA funding could halt to communities in need as government shutdown looms: We can't mess around with this
2 JetBlue planes reportedly struck by lasers near Boston, FAA says