Current:Home > MarketsMillionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving -WealthRoots Academy
Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 21:24:06
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, the owner and pilot of the doomed Titan sub, had offered millionaire Jay Bloom and his son discounted tickets to ride on it, and claimed it was safer than crossing the street, a Facebook post from Bloom said. The sub suffered a "catastrophic implosion" on its dive to view the Titanic earlier this week, killing Rush and the other four people on board.
On Thursday, just hours after the Coast Guard announced that the wreckage of the sub had been found, Bloom, a Las Vegas investor, revealed texts he had exchanged with Rush in the months leading up to the trip.
In one text conversation in late April, Rush reduced the price of the tickets from $250,000 to $150,000 per person to ride the submersible on a trip scheduled for May. As Bloom contemplated the offer, his son Sean raised safety concerns over the sub, while Rush — who once said he'd "broken some rules" in its design — tried to assure them.
"While there's obviously risk it's way safer than flying a helicopter or even scuba diving," Rush wrote, according to a screen shot of the text exchange posted by Bloom.
Bloom said that in a previous in-person meeting with Rush, they'd discussed the dive and its safety.
"I am sure he really believed what he was saying. But he was very wrong," Bloom wrote, adding, "He was absolutely convinced that it was safer than crossing the street."
Ultimately, the May trip was delayed until Father's Day weekend in June, and Bloom decided not to go.
"I told him that due to scheduling we couldn't go until next year," Bloom wrote. "Our seats went to Shahzada Dawood and his 19 year old son, Suleman Dawood, two of the other three who lost their lives on this excursion (the fifth being Hamish Harding)."
Bloom wasn't the only one who backed out of the trip. Chris Brown, a friend of Harding and self-described "modern explorer," told CNN earlier this week he decided to not go because it "seemed to have too many risks out of my control" and didn't come across as a "professional diving operation." David Concannon, an Idaho-based attorney and a consultant for OceanGate Expeditions, said over Facebook that he canceled due to an "urgent client matter."
The U.S. Coast Guard said it would continue its investigation of the debris from the sub, found near the Titanic shipwreck site, to try to determine more about how and when it imploded.
Industry experts and a former employee's lawsuit had raised serious safety concerns about OceanGate's operation years before the sub's disappearance. In 2018, a professional trade group warned that OceanGate's experimental approach to the design of the Titan could lead to potentially "catastrophic" outcomes, according to a letter from the group obtained by CBS News.
"Titanic" director James Cameron, an experienced deep-sea explorer who has been to the wreckage site more than 30 times, said that "OceanGate shouldn't have been doing what it was doing."
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- OceanGate
Christopher Brito is a social media manager and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (752)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- General Motors’ autonomous vehicle unit recalls cars for software update after dragging a pedestrian
- Wisconsin Assembly to pass Republican bill banning race, diversity factors in financial aid for UW
- Pregnant Teen Mom Star Kailyn Lowry Teases Sex of Twins
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Migration experts say Italy’s deal to have Albania house asylum-seekers violates international law
- Russian troops shoot and kill a Georgian civilian near the breakaway province of South Ossetia
- Croatia recommends people drink tap water after several fall from drinking bottled drinks
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Former national fencing coach ruled permanently ineligible by US Center for SafeSport
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Veteran quarterback Carson Wentz is signing with the Los Angeles Rams, AP source says
- A prosecutor says a foreign link is possible to the dozens of Stars of David stenciled around Paris
- 'Awe-inspiring:' See 5 stunning photos of the cosmos captured by Europe's Euclid telescope
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Jeremy Renner Reflects on His Greatest Therapy Amid Recovery From Snowplow Accident
- Historic hangar at Marine Corps Air Station Tustin partially collapses after massive fire
- Biden administration says colleges must fight ‘alarming rise’ in antisemitism and Islamophobia
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
College football bowl projections after Week 10: It's crunch time for playoff contenders
Starbucks increasing wages, benefits for most workers, those in union won't get some perks
NCAA, Pac-12, USC set to begin trial today with NLRB over athletes' employment status
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
The View's Ana Navarro Raises Eyebrows With Comment About Wanting to Breast Feed Maluma
Kyle Richards Clarifies Relationship Status With Mauricio Umansky After Divorce Comment
As price of olive oil soars, chainsaw-wielding thieves target Mediterranean’s century-old trees