Current:Home > reviewsNaomi Campbell Banned as Charity Trustee for 5 Years After Spending Funds on Hotels, Spas and Cigarettes -WealthRoots Academy
Naomi Campbell Banned as Charity Trustee for 5 Years After Spending Funds on Hotels, Spas and Cigarettes
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 18:31:00
It would appear that Naomi Campbell has displayed some less than model behavior.
The acclaimed supermodel has been disqualified from any charity involvement in England and Wales for the next five years after it was found that Fashion for Relief—a charity organization she helped found in 2005—had been misappropriating funds.
A Sept. 26 inquiry by the Charity Commission for England and Wales confirmed that there were "multiple instances of misconduct and / or mismanagement" by Campbell, as well as her fellow trustees, Bianka Hellmich and Veronica Chou, who have also been banned from charitable works for nine years and four years, respectively.
The Commission found that "between April 2016 and July 2022, only 8.5 percent of the charity's overall expenditure was on charitable grants," and noted that in May 2018, the trustees spent €14,800 (about $19,800) on a flight from London to Nice for a fundraising event, according to the decision shared on their public website. During that trip, the inquiry stated Campbell also used the charity's funds to spend €9,400 (about $12,500) on hotel accommodations, as well as an additional €7,939.75 (about $10,700)—paid for by the charity—on "spa treatments, room service, and the purchase of cigarettes and hotel products."
Fashion for Relief's trustees told the commission in the inquiry that the hotel and travel expenses were considered a "cost-effective choice" and that the cost of the hotel was typically covered by a donor to the charity. However, the inquiry noted that, "No evidence was provided by the trustees to evidence such payments by the Donor and no corresponding credits to the charity, from the Donor, were identified from the Inquiry's review of the charity's financial records."
According to the Charity Commission, "Fashion for Relief, which has been removed from the register of charities, was set up for the purpose of poverty relief and advancing health and education by making grants to charities or other organisations and by giving resources directly to those affected."
The commission's inquiry also found that "unauthorised payments totalling £290,000 for consultancy services had been made to a trustee, Bianka Hellmich, which was in breach of the charity's constitution," although they did note in their decision that she had "proactively proposed repaying these funds" which amount to around $388,000.
As for Campbell, she has stated that she was "extremely concerned" by the findings.
"I was not in control of my charity," the 54-year-old told the Associated Press while being named a Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters at the French Ministry for Culture Sept. 26. "I put the control in the hands of a legal employer."
She added, "We are investigating to find out what and how, and everything I do and every penny I ever raised goes to charity."
E! News reached out to reps for Campbell, Hellmich and Chou for comment on the inquiry but has not heard back.
Fashion for Relief was dissolved and removed from the Register of Charities on March 15.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (83)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- In his first tweet in more than two years, Trump shares his mugshot on X
- Woman who allegedly abandoned dog at airport and flew to resort hit with animal cruelty charges
- Storms are wreaking havoc on homes. Here's how to make sure your insurance is enough.
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Robert Irwin and Heath Ledger's Niece Rorie Buckey Go Instagram Official
- Officers fatally shoot armed man during post office standoff, North Little Rock police say
- No sign plane crash that likely killed Yevgeny Prigozhin was caused by surface-to-air missile, Pentagon says
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Storms are wreaking havoc on homes. Here's how to make sure your insurance is enough.
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- How Microsoft Executive Jared Bridegan's Ex-Wife Ended Up Charged With His Murder
- In Iowa and elsewhere, bans on LGBTQ+ ‘conversion therapy’ become a conservative target
- Walker Hayes confronts America's divisive ideals with a beer and a smile in 'Good With Me'
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Two suspects are dead after separate confrontations with police in Missouri
- Mysterious remains found in Netherlands identified as Bernard Luza, Jewish resistance hero who was executed by Nazis in 1943
- Suburban Milwaukee police officer, 2 civilians hurt in incident outside hotel
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
A father describes rushing his 7-month-old to safety during a California biker bar shooting
Las Vegas Aces celebrated at White House for WNBA championship
These Reusable Pee Pads for Dogs Look Like Area Rugs and They're Machine-Washable
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Maryland oral surgeon convicted of murder in girlfriend’s overdose death
Woman allegedly kidnapped by fake Uber driver rescued after slipping note to gas station customer
Indiana automotive parts supplier to close next spring, costing 155 workers their jobs