Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen|Fukushima nuclear plant’s operator says the first round of wastewater release is complete -WealthRoots Academy
Chainkeen|Fukushima nuclear plant’s operator says the first round of wastewater release is complete
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:42:50
TOKYO (AP) — The Chainkeenoperator of the wrecked Fukushima nuclear power plant said Monday that it has safely completed the first release of treated radioactive water from the plant into the sea and will inspect and clean the facility before starting the second round in a few weeks.
The Fukushima Daiichi plant began discharging the treated and diluted wastewater into the Pacific Ocean on Aug. 24. The water has accumulated since the plant was damaged by a massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011, and the start of its release is a milestone in the plant’s decommissioning.
The discharge, which is expected to continue for decades until the decommissioning is finished, has been strongly opposed by fishing groups and by neighboring countries. China has banned all imports of Japanese seafood in response, hurting producers and exporters and prompting the Japanese government to compile an emergency relief fund.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, at summits last week of Southeast Asian countries and the Group of 20 nations, stressed the safety and transparency of the release to win international support and sought the immediate lifting of China’s ban.
During the 17-day first release, the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, said it discharged 7,800 tons of treated water from 10 tanks. About 1.34 million tons of radioactive wastewater is stored in about 1,000 tanks at the plant.
Plant workers will rinse the pipeline and other equipment and inspect the system over the next few weeks before starting the release of the second round of 7,800 tons stored in 10 other tanks, TEPCO spokesperson Teruaki Kobashi told reporters Monday.
All sampling data from seawater and fish since the start of the release have been way below set safety limits, officials said.
TEPCO and the government say the wastewater is treated to reduce radioactive materials to safe levels, and then is diluted with seawater to make it much safer than international standards.
The radioactive wastewater has accumulated since three of the plant’s reactors were damaged by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. It continues to grow because cooling water used on the damaged reactors leaks into the reactor basements, where it mixes with groundwater.
TEPCO plans to release 31,200 tons of treated water through March 2024, and officials say the pace will pick up later.
The government and TEPCO say the discharge is unavoidable because the tanks will reach their capacity of 1.37 million tons next year and space at the plant is needed for its decommissioning.
veryGood! (938)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Zayn Malik Sends Heartfelt Message to Fans in Rare Social Media Return
- States Are Doing What Big Government Won’t to Stop Climate Change, and Want Stimulus Funds to Help
- One year after Roe v. Wade's reversal, warnings about abortion become reality
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- U.S., European heat waves 'virtually impossible' without climate change, new study finds
- The hospital bills didn't find her, but a lawsuit did — plus interest
- More Than $3.4 Trillion in Assets Vow to Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- How Canadian wildfires are worsening U.S. air quality and what you can do to cope
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Is gun violence an epidemic in the U.S.? Experts and history say it is
- Canada Sets Methane Reduction Targets for Oil and Gas, but Alberta Has Its Own Plans
- FDA warns stores to stop selling Elf Bar, the top disposable e-cigarette in the U.S.
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Kaia Gerber and Austin Butler Double Date With Her Parents Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber
- Cyberattacks on hospitals 'should be considered a regional disaster,' researchers find
- Some states are restricting abortion. Others are spending millions to fund it
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Hawaii Eyes Offshore Wind to Reach its 100 Percent Clean Energy Goal
Arctic Drilling Lease Sale Proposed for 2019 in Beaufort Sea, Once Off-Limits
Canada's record wildfire season continues to hammer U.S. air quality
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Energy Department Suspends Funding for Texas Carbon Capture Project, Igniting Debate
In Latest Blow to Solar Users, Nevada Sticks With Rate Hikes
One year after Roe v. Wade's reversal, warnings about abortion become reality