Current:Home > MarketsWWE's Vince McMahon resigns after being accused of sex trafficking, assault in lawsuit -WealthRoots Academy
WWE's Vince McMahon resigns after being accused of sex trafficking, assault in lawsuit
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 23:49:29
Note: This story contains graphic descriptions of sexual abuse that may be offensive to some readers or painful to survivors of sexual assault.
Vince McMahon has resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, parent company of WWE, after a former employee accused him of sex trafficking and sexual misconduct, USA TODAY Sports confirmed.
McMahon announced he is stepping down one day after Janel Grant, a former employee at WWE headquarters, filed a lawsuit against McMahon, WWE and the company’s former head of talent relations, John Laurinaitis.
According to court documents, McMahon allegedly pushed Grant into "a physical relationship in return for long-promised employment at WWE," which involved a forced sexual relationship, sharing of private photos and videos, as well as coercing Grant into having sexual relations with other WWE staffers, including Laurinaitis.
"McMahon also subjected Grant to acts of extreme cruelty and degradation that caused Grant to disassociate and/or become numb to reality in order to survive the horrific encounters," the lawsuit states.
“I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name,” McMahon said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports on Friday. “However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately.”
LAWSUIT:Vince McMahon accused of sex trafficking, assault of former WWE employee he paid for NDA
The lawsuit states that in January 2022, McMahon said his wife, Linda McMahon, found out about the relationship with Grant, and he "wanted to ensure that Grant would remain silent about his personal misconduct in order to preserve his controlling interest in WWE." He advised Grant to sign a non-disclosure agreement and would pay her for it. The two sides agreed for a payment of $3 million for Grant signing the NDA, but after it was signed, Grant said she only received $1 million and didn’t receive the rest of the agreed amount.
The lawsuit asks for a ruling that the NDA is invalid under state and federal law because McMahon breached the agreement and took part in sex trafficking. The suit states Grant will prove in a trial she will need "lifelong treatment" because of the "pain and suffering" caused by McMahon.
In the statement provided to USA TODAY Sports on Friday evening, McMahon again denied the allegations.
“I stand by my prior statement that Ms. Grant’s lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth," McMahon said.
McMahon had served as executive chairman of TKO Group Holdings, the company that owns WWE along with the UFC. He made a public appearance with the company on Tuesday when Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was appointed as a board member for the company, and he rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange. TKO had previously said McMahon had no part in the day-to-day operations of WWE.
The news of McMahon's departure came as "Smackdown" took place at the Kaseya Center in Miami. There was no mention of McMahon during the live broadcast, and WWE will hold its annual Royal Rumble event Saturday at Tropicana Field.
veryGood! (81)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Investigators looking for long-missing Michigan woman find human remains on husband’s property
- Dirt track racer Scott Bloomquist, known for winning and swagger, dies in plane crash
- Car insurance rates could surge by 50% in 3 states: See where they're rising nationwide
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Why you should be worried about massive National Public Data breach and what to do.
- A banner year for data breaches: Cybersecurity expert shows how to protect your privacy
- Premier League highlights: Arsenal and Liverpool win season's opening Saturday
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Christina Hall and Taylor El Moussa Enjoy a Mother-Daughter Hair Day Amid Josh Hall Divorce
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Russian artist released in swap builds a new life in Germany, now free to marry her partner
- Woman arrested at Indiana Applebee's after argument over 'All You Can Eat' deal: Police
- Demi Lovato’s One Major Rule She'll Have for Her Future Kids
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Lawyers for plaintiffs in NCAA compensation case unload on opposition to deal
- Lawyers for plaintiffs in NCAA compensation case unload on opposition to deal
- Watch Taylor Swift perform 'London Boy' Oy! in Wembley Stadium
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Police: 2 dead in Tennessee interstate crash involving ambulance
Watch: Dallas Cowboys kicker Brandon Aubrey nails 66-yard field goal
Jonathan Bailey's Fate on Bridgerton Season 4 Revealed
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Ex-Rep. George Santos expected to plead guilty to multiple counts in fraud case, AP source says
Kate Spade Outlet Sparkles with Up to 73% off (Plus an Extra 15%) – $57 Bags, $33 Wristlets & More
Bridgerton Season 4: Actress Yerin Ha Cast as Benedict's Love Interest Sophie Beckett