Current:Home > NewsPhilippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -WealthRoots Academy
Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 16:55:06
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on Dec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (75)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Biden Administration Allows Controversial Arctic Oil Project to Proceed
- Zayn Malik's Call Her Daddy Bombshells: Gigi Hadid Relationship, Yolanda Hadid Dispute & More
- Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2023: Everything Ambassadors Need to Know to Score the Best Deals
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- One Man’s Determined Fight for Solar Power in Rural Ohio
- 2023 Emmy Nominations Shocking Snubs and Surprises: Selena Gomez, Daisy Jones and More
- Why Khloe Kardashian Feels Like She's the 3rd Parent to Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna's Daughter Dream
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- New York’s New Mayor Has Assembled a Seasoned Climate Team. Now, the Real Work Begins
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Carbon Removal Is Coming to Fossil Fuel Country. Can It Bring Jobs and Climate Action?
- Outdated EPA Standards Allow Oil Refineries to Pollute Waterways
- OutDaughtered’s Danielle and Adam Busby Detail Her Alarming Battle With Autoimmune Disease
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Cause of Death Revealed for Bob Marley's Grandson Jo Mersa Marley
- Science Day at COP27 Shows That Climate Talks Aren’t Keeping Pace With Planetary Physics
- Mosquitoes spread malaria. These researchers want them to fight it instead
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
A New Push Is on in Chicago to Connect Urban Farmers With Institutional Buyers Like Schools and Hospitals
Amid a record heat wave, Texas construction workers lose their right to rest breaks
This Waterproof JBL Speaker With 59,600+ 5-Star Reviews Is Only $40 on Prime Day 2023
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Kate Hudson Proves Son Bing Is Following in Her and Matt Bellamy’s Musical Footsteps
NOAA Climate Scientists Cruise Washington and Baltimore for Hotspots—of Greenhouse Gases and Air Pollutants
A New Study from China on Methane Leaks from the Sabotaged Nord Stream Pipelines Found that the Climate Impact Was ‘Tiny’ and Nothing ‘to Worry About’